Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 30, 2011, 07:09 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default X58 and caching?

Looking at buying an OCZ Synapse 128 GB (there is a weekly special plus reduced tax and free shipping on it for today and tomorrow only so fast replies would be nice)

Questions I'm not easily finding answers to:

Will I still need TRIM to work with a caching drive?
Will caching work on the x58 considering it's a "caching drive"?

I don't particularly want to do a re-install and my games etc are never gonna fit on a 128GB drive
(My steam folder alone is 130 GB, yes I play most of them at least reasonably regularly)

My other option seems to be the OCZ Octane.. I've not heard much about this drive though.. I know it's faster in some circumstances than the Vertex 3 and slower in others. But I haven't a clue about the controller or if it requires trim support or or or..

Basically I would go for a Crucial M4 if it the Octane is not really suitable or if the Synapse won't work (or correctly) without Trim support / z68 etc.

Quick answers, as said, would be appreciated.
(Only drives on offer are ocz, vertex, synapse and octane but the free shipping applies to all drives so could still get an M4 at a reduced cost, though I'll not be thrilled about it not being a caching drive :( )
Old December 30, 2011, 09:04 AM
F@H

My System Specs

The X58 doesn't do SSD caching like the Z68 boards.

I'd recommend using your new SSD as a boot drive, and using SteamJunction or a Symbolic Link creator. That way you can keep part of your Steam games on the SSD, and the balance on your HDD. This is what I do, and I'd highly recommend SteamJunction. Made by some guy on Shacknews, and it automatically moves the files and creates the symbolic link for you.

EDIT: NVM, I just remembered that the Synapse ships with the caching software. So your SSD will automatically cache the most used 120 GB on your hard drive.
Old December 30, 2011, 09:48 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Anyone with any experience of an OCZ Synapse can tell me if the lack of Trim will affect it in a bad way?

I'm also going to be buying it from the UK but live in the Ukraine (4 hr flight) so making sure that it will work as supposed to with no issues from Trim is a real must.
Old December 30, 2011, 12:06 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Anyone with any experience of an OCZ Synapse can tell me if the lack of Trim will affect it in a bad way?

I'm also going to be buying it from the UK but live in the Ukraine (4 hr flight) so making sure that it will work as supposed to with no issues from Trim is a real must.
I thought the Synapse series supported TRIM (on Win7 at least)?

I was positive Synapse supported TRIM.

OCZ Synapse Cache SATA III 2.5" SSD - OCZ

Says it supports TRIM in the Specifications tab.
Old December 30, 2011, 01:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

As in X 58 does not support trim...
Old December 30, 2011, 01:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The X58 does support Trim with the Intel RST drivers.

My concern is that you only get 60gb of caching as the other 60gb is reserved for over-provisioning. I still think you might get better bang for your buck with a regular 128GB SSD as a boot drive.