Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 28, 2011, 01:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Yet anouther SSD help thread and anouther question

Yeah I know that there are a lot out there and I think I am getting closer to actually making a decision but I thought I would throw this out there.

Im looking for a 128GB SSD for use in a laptop as a primary drive in my Sager. 200 is about my price range which most drives are on NCIX right now, this means do not recommend the Intel 510. Battery life is very important to me, and its Sata3 capable so I would like to take advantage of that. And as always performance is important but I do not need the top drive if its going to come at the cost of battery and perhaps more importantly money. This will be a first SSD in a machine that stability is important, will be for school and work as well as gaming.

Now I'm looking at the M4 right now mainly I think, but I was wondering if the problems with the Sandforce controller issues have been fixed and if those are a better option I am willing to consider them.
Old December 28, 2011, 02:02 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I have an OCZ agility 3 SSD(gift), sandforce, no problems ever, I would however buy a128GB Crutial M4,C300 or older intel 120GB 310 series,or samsung 120GB. Plextor is also a reputable brand, but not sure on longevity of there SSD's yet they are quite new.
Old December 28, 2011, 02:05 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Can't go wrong with the M4. Not the fastest, but you won't notice the difference.

Sandforce seems to have calmed down on the BSOD dept, but I still would feel just a tad bit better recommending the M4. (its in my laptop now since Oct...absolutely no issues at all)
Fold for team #54196
Old December 28, 2011, 03:06 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I picked up the 128GB M4 because of all the positive feedback I've read regarding it, haven't had a chance to use it yet though.
Old December 28, 2011, 03:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

Thanks, it is sounding like the M4 is the more recommended one and that people are having a good experience with it.

Out of curiosity what does LPM mean? I know it "translates" to link power management but what that actually means still eludes me.