Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 26, 2011, 05:20 PM
Trial Member

Default Upgrade to a SSD?

Hey, how much difference will there be in games if i upgrade to a SSD from and old and slow WD Hdd?
Old December 26, 2011, 06:22 PM
Rookie

FPS increase would be negligible but loading and saving times would be much faster. Getting a ssd would increase your overall systems response and snappiness though. You'll get better boot time, almost instantaneous access to files and applications on it, faster load & boot times, fast transfer speeds, silence since there's no moving parts and less power consumption. Only con is the $/gb though.

Of course this only affects files and apps located on the ssd.
Old December 27, 2011, 12:46 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Difference in games would not be much overall, if you were to use SSD as a game drive it would most certainly load them way faster, but at the same time alot of game like to open and close things constantly which would in time wear out the SSD faster then it should.

SSD are better used as OS drives, this way here it lets the system overall keep things faster as background tasks for the most part are going to be happening super fast, so it should take the ease off the system and let the overall system do its thing.

They are $, but are well worth it in my opinion, its nice to be able to reboot and be fully loaded in windows in like 30 secs :)

Course if you are thinking of going this route, things like AHCI need to be turned on, defrag-superfetch-prefetch are things best left off, do not constantly benchmark the SSD, and only install things on it that need to be, things like documents, favorites, downloads, basically anything that takes alot of space that doesnt get used often or require a ton of speed are best put on a mechanical drive, mostly to keep the SSD fast for a very long time. Depending on how much stuff you have, the amount of games, applications and such, a windows 7 64 bit install on mine, been using it like such for months takes 58gb formatted space and I am left with 25gb free on a 60 gb Agility 3. I would leave around 15gb or so free at all times, but thats just me. I also have a paging file set for SSD slightly smaller and a larger paging file set for my mechanical, this does help to keep it snappier as well.