Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 19, 2011, 09:01 AM
Rookie

Default Upgrade with SSD

Hey people,

i want to put an ssd in my system (i want to hold my HDD) but how shoud i do that with window's
should i delete it from the HDD and if so HOW?
or should i just install it on the SSD
plz help me out it would really help me
Old December 19, 2011, 11:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

most put there os and apps on the ssd and there data on a hdd
Old December 19, 2011, 02:14 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I would do a fresh install on the SSD, this way here it can be done the best way and to make sure things are optimized for the SSD.

Things like prefetch/superfetch, defrag and stuff like that you do not want running on the SSD, also things like favorites, documents, pictures etc are fast anyways so shift them over to the mechanical(junk) drive.

For the SSD to perform the best it can, just try to keep what doesnt need to be there off of it, basically things that change often like games and such, should be on the mechanical, drivers and install packages as much as you can keep them off of the SSD.

I know others have different ways of doing it, but SSD are best used for things that do not change or need rewritting often, base OS as example, whereas mechanical are best used for things that take alot of space or change often.

I did OS and base drivers(things that HAVE to be on the OS drive) on my Agility 3, turned off things previously mentioned, it is running in AHCI, has trim turned on, secondary drive is partitioned with one partition for paging file, one for my games, one for documents pictures/os drivers and last partition for install files and remaining junk. basically keep it organized so it has less time to look for things and to keep the SSD at its best speed as often as possible.

The partition tool I use is minitool partition wizard home edition, it is free, and works very well with windows 7, it allows resizing and moving partitions where you want them :)

Last edited by Dragonstongue; December 19, 2011 at 02:17 PM. Reason: changed something
Old December 19, 2011, 03:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Get a Crucial M4. Install windows and your most used apps on it including games. Love your computer again.

M4 is the most user friendly.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old December 27, 2011, 10:21 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonstongue View Post
I would do a fresh install on the SSD, this way here it can be done the best way and to make sure things are optimized for the SSD.

Things like prefetch/superfetch, defrag and stuff like that you do not want running on the SSD, also things like favorites, documents, pictures etc are fast anyways so shift them over to the mechanical(junk) drive.

For the SSD to perform the best it can, just try to keep what doesnt need to be there off of it, basically things that change often like games and such, should be on the mechanical, drivers and install packages as much as you can keep them off of the SSD.

I know others have different ways of doing it, but SSD are best used for things that do not change or need rewritting often, base OS as example, whereas mechanical are best used for things that take alot of space or change often.

I did OS and base drivers(things that HAVE to be on the OS drive) on my Agility 3, turned off things previously mentioned, it is running in AHCI, has trim turned on, secondary drive is partitioned with one partition for paging file, one for my games, one for documents pictures/os drivers and last partition for install files and remaining junk. basically keep it organized so it has less time to look for things and to keep the SSD at its best speed as often as possible.

The partition tool I use is minitool partition wizard home edition, it is free, and works very well with windows 7, it allows resizing and moving partitions where you want them :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But on the HDD (that is now my main drive with the os) is a OS, should i do something with the old HDD (that i want to hold as storae drive, like removing the OS from it (if thats possible)) or can i just install a fresh OS on the SSD and do further nothing?
Old December 27, 2011, 10:54 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
Get a Crucial M4. Install windows and your most used apps on it including games. Love your computer again.

M4 is the most user friendly.
Mr. Sahdes is ryt, more comfortable than Sandforce controller-based SSDs (usually OCZs contain this controller, hving many problms).