Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 18, 2011, 07:36 PM
Rookie

Question ssd health low?

it's been a while since i posted here, but i just formatted my SSD as i could not boot into windows. Windows files were apparently corrupt, and chkdsk didn't work. I was getting long 30 second (roughly) complete freezes where i could not do anything in that time for a few days before i formatted.

I was checking my ssd health with the program ssd life and i have before and after screenshots of my drive. I performed 2 frimware updates and a wipe as the drive still had it's original firmware on it as when i had it in summer 2009.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting and after - ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Anyone know why the health has gone from 24% to 99%? it's like the firmware update has reset the info.. so if that's the case how do i find the real health status?

and the one that says 24% says excellent health, how can that be?.
Old December 18, 2011, 07:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well you always want to leave about 10% of your ssd as free space, can't remember why but AkG told me.
Old December 18, 2011, 07:51 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Well you always want to leave about 10% of your ssd as free space, can't remember why but AkG told me.
Do you know why the first screenshot says it would last another 8 and a half years if it's only showing 24%?
Old December 18, 2011, 07:54 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The Falcon was an Indlinix barefoot controller based drive. While I have not played with an Indi in a long time - nor do I put ANY faith in ssd health programs - it is my vague recollection that the write cycle count was indeed held in a portion of the drive's nand that was over written with when a firmware upgrade was done. IIRC it simply was a SMART attribute that they used to show erase counts...that had nothing to do with the original intention of that SMART attribute (ie since it was SSD and not a HDD..the programers of the firmware simply stuck the data in there where it otherwise would always show "0" since the drive doenst spin...or something like that...like I said its been awhile :P).

There really is no guaranteed way to tell how much life is left on that old drive. In all likelihood its got lots of life left AND assuming the controller, pcb, wiring or ram chip doesnt pack it in first all that happens when it hits "0" is you can no longer WRITE to the drive...but can READ from it, making cloning simple and painless. YMMV but I wouldnt worry all that much, those programs are wonky and are NOT to be trusted. If the drive is working...its working. Dont sweat the small numbers that can be WAY off base....as in all likelihood you will turn the system on one day and it will simply go POOF! and pop the controller or ram chip. A dead controller is a lot more common than a drive using up ALL its NAND erase cycles...especially with those older 10K erase cycle nand drives. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 18, 2011, 08:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

i wouldn't believe that health eathier... or mine fixed itself
drives still going as i type..
Attached Images

"Be so good at what you do that you cant be ignored"

Old December 20, 2011, 02:28 AM
Rookie

I installed a ton of windows updates, it gave me issues logging on. After it did though, opening programs was sluggish and it seems the update screwed up windows. Formatted again.. installed the updates, seems ok this time.

Loading stuff does seem a lot faster now. I have no idea how much my drive slowed down before i wiped & upgraded the firmware but i checked with AS SSD and am getting 210 read / 153 write as of now.

Speeds are supposed to be 230 read / 190 write. is it normal for an ssd to lose it's speed over time, even after a wipe/update?
Old December 21, 2011, 04:59 AM
Rookie

This may or may not be related to the SSD, but i rebooted today and windows startup repair ran on it's own and said the registry was corrupt which it fixed

That and all my drives didn't appear until a green searching bar went right across the screen in Computer.

Either it's just coincidence (very annoying) or there is a problem somewhere.. i want to pull my hair out sometimes with computer issues i have other small issues as well, but that is for another thread i guess.
Old December 23, 2011, 12:26 AM
Rookie

Well i am pretty sure it is failing or failed. I formatted twice in total now and after a simple shutdown and reboot it went straight to a startup repair and got stuck on it for over 40 mins where i just gave up and shut down.

Odd behaviour like Computer scanning for drives before they even show up as well.. i am almost certain it's dying now but it seems there are no tools to test it reliably.

I have unplugged the drive and am running on Vista on my hdd for now, if ssd's only last 2-3 years it puts me off buying another in the near future at least.