Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 3, 2011, 11:05 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Choice of SSD

I want to buy an ~120Gb SSD.
I want it to be fast and yet stable. My budget is around 200$

The more I read the more I get confused.
Should I choose Sand Force or Marvell?

My choices are OCZ Vertex 3, Corsair force 3, Corsair Performance 3 and Crucial M4

Which one would you recommend?

Thanks!
Old December 3, 2011, 11:08 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

For first time buyers I always recommend the M4 or Intel 510. Reliable, fast and can take care of themselves. Plus Crucial and Intel simply have the best Customer Service and RMA experience going. Not saying OCZ isnt good - as they are outstanding as well - but the Marvell controller is simply a more user-friendly controller.

YMMV

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 14, 2011, 06:02 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

how about the Corsair Performance pro series?
Does anyone have experience with them?

They use the Marvell controller and seem to be similarly priced to the M4
Old December 14, 2011, 06:31 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The P Pro is a very solid drive. I have actually started to test a P Pro 256gb'er...and so far it feels faster in non-trim enviros than the M4 did. This could be just psychosomatic and it is too early to tell one way or the other (really only started playing with it a couple days ago...and only about 20hrs into about 200 of testing I usually do). TBH it is so far a very solid choice. But the M4 and 510 are what I consider "known good" drives....and are a very safe bet. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 18, 2011, 04:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would also go with the M4