Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 3, 2011, 10:30 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default 2 momentus XT Hybrid in RAID or One OCZ 120G Vertex 3 SSD

Title kinda says it! But here is the story, I am not really happy with my current SSD. But I have been reading the reviews about the momentus XT and it intrigues me a lot. Is it better to buy the new OCZ vertex 3 120G or put 2 Seagate momentus XT in RAID 0 to achieve a near or matched performance of a single SSD?.Storage is not really a problem but I am currently trying to save cost here and I really consider this as a luxury item. But being the christmas season its the perfect time to buy it.
Old December 3, 2011, 04:03 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

It depends on price in my eyes.

While the momentus' technology sounds promising I still prefer a SSD boot drive and a mechanical storage drive.
Old December 3, 2011, 04:30 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Well for the cost of what two Xt's will set you back you can basically get a 256GB M4. From a price to performance perspective the Xts...lose and lose badly. When compared against the cheaper M4 128 they REALLY lose badly. When compared against a 120gb V3 they also lose badly. The niche the Xt's are after is laptop users. While decent choices they are less than optimal solutions for desktop PC users.

Seagate is hinting about a 3.5" Barracuda XT (though prolly not be q2 of 2012 if i was to guess), but until that surfaces IF you want more speed you go SSD. If you want more capacity as well as speed...you go for a bigger SSD.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 3, 2011, 04:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well i have both ssd and hybrid hdd and if its for a desktop go ssd and hdd for storage if it for a laptop i go with a momentus because the hybrid is fast its now where near a ssd my laptop has a 500gb momentus xt and i have ssd's in raid on my workstation and a single ssd in my htpc and the laptop is the slowest outta of the group but a hybrid hdd gives a nice speed boost adn lots of size.

justmy2cents
Old December 3, 2011, 06:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger212 View Post
But being the christmas season its the perfect time to buy it.
- incorrect with the reduced supply of hard drives... The Momentus XT has suffered in prices just like all the other drives, but SSDs have not taken as large a hit.

Unless your SSD stutters (which if it's the Vertex 2 in your specs it won't), a Momentus XT will definitely be slower than it. My Seagate Momentus XT 320GB (laptop) is only partitioned about 120GB with 60GB used and it is slower than my true SSD (desktop), a Kingston V Series Gen 2 128 GB, again with 60 GB used.

Remember that the Momentus XT's cache is read only so whenever it is writing, it really hints to you that it is still just a hard drive.
Old December 4, 2011, 03:40 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The reason why I am replacing my OCZ vertex 2 is because its only 60g if I can remember, That is all I can afford at that time. Also I am aware of the increased in the HDD and Momentus XT prices. But a sale here is a big sale! so perfect time to buy something here. Also I would like to thank you for your responses because I have decided to put my vertex 2 in my old rig and continue with my original plan on buying the 120G OCZ vertex 3. The new momentus XT that was reviewed here by AKG intrigued me and thought that I could achieved a similar or matched performance of a SSD if I raid 2 momentus XT together. But it turns out I am better off with a new SSD and I thank you all for clearing that up. :D

Last edited by Avenger212; December 4, 2011 at 04:15 AM.