Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 30, 2011, 12:51 PM
Rookie

Default old hard drive new pc?

hi Linus/hardwarecanucks, i'm building a new computer. To save money, i want to use my old hard drive with all my files and win7 install. Is this possible? Could you tell me if this is possible or on how to wipe your Hard drive for a new installlation? Thank you!

Old November 30, 2011, 10:00 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy1599 View Post
hi Linus/hardwarecanucks, i'm building a new computer. To save money, i want to use my old hard drive with all my files and win7 install. Is this possible? Could you tell me if this is possible or on how to wipe your Hard drive for a new installlation? Thank you!

You will have to format if you get new hardware like a motherboard and CPU.

Back up all the necessary data, insert the windows 7 DVD, restart the PC and pres any key to enter setup (if your boot priorities are set for the DVD device to boot first).

The old hard drive, should work fine if it's a SATA interface, if it's a legacy IDE, make sure your motherboard supports it.

I would personally suggest getting a new hard drive, especially if your motherboard supports SATA3.
Old December 1, 2011, 02:29 AM
Rookie

Default *urgent* *URGENT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-A-R-M View Post
You will have to format if you get new hardware like a motherboard and CPU.

Back up all the necessary data, insert the windows 7 DVD, restart the PC and pres any key to enter setup (if your boot priorities are set for the DVD device to boot first).

The old hard drive, should work fine if it's a SATA interface, if it's a legacy IDE, make sure your motherboard supports it.

I would personally suggest getting a new hard drive, especially if your motherboard supports SATA3.
How do you format an entire hard drive? everytime i right click format on C: it says can't because windows is installed on it.
Old December 1, 2011, 02:38 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy1599 View Post
How do you format an entire hard drive? everytime i right click format on C: it says can't because windows is installed on it.
You do this when you install Windows after the restart, before windows load again.
When you set your DVD drive as the highest boot priority, the bios will prompt you to pres any key to enter setup if the Windows disk is in the drive.

Read and print this article:

Format Windows 7
Old December 1, 2011, 02:39 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-A-R-M View Post
You do this when you install Windows after the restart, before windows load again.
When you set your DVD drive as the highest boot priority, the bios will prompt you to pres any key to enter setup if the Windows disk is in the drive.

Read and print this article:

Format Windows 7
HOWTO format and do a clean install Windows 7 - YouTube
Old December 1, 2011, 07:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You don't "have" to format and reinstall, but it is recommended. I have used the same windows install across platforms many times. I have even gone from AMD to Intel and back without doing a fresh install.
Old December 2, 2011, 04:21 AM
MVP

My System Specs

You may also use W7's Easy Transfer to carry over files and settings from an old install into a fresh install.
Old December 2, 2011, 05:48 AM
MVP

if you are going from Intel to Intel simply remove the motherboard drivers eg lan,sata(if used) sound, chipset drivers etc for the old motherboard before you shut it down for the last time
use driver sweeper to remove the chipset etc.
Install the new cpu and board and ram and boot it up then you have to reactivate with MS.. no big deal mine system did online I never even had to call them.
I went from 775 to 1155 never missed a beat.
Mushkin #997007
Noctua NH-D14
Gigabyte GTX 660
Seasonic X-660
Corsair 540 Cube
Noctua case fans
Intel Speed Demon x 2

using Prime 95 27.9

Old December 4, 2011, 04:36 PM
Rookie

What I often do is just go to BIOS and change boot from hard drive to DVD-rom. So that you can go through the standard win 7 install procedure and format the drive as requested.