Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 28, 2011, 08:59 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Seagate Momentus XT 750GB Hybrid Hard Drive Review Comment Thread

SSDs seem to be all the rage these days but while they offer incredible performance, what they haven't been able to achieve is acceptable capacity levels at sub-$300 price points. This is where hybrid drives like Seagate's new Momentus XT 750GB come into play. They offer a combination of SSD-like performance in your most-used applications while also offering higher storage capacity at a mass market price.

You can read the review here: Seagate Momentus XT 750GB Hybrid Hard Drive Review
Old November 28, 2011, 09:29 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

This drive intrigues me a lot. Would you consider putting 2 of these drives in raid 0 to achieve a near or matched performance of an SSD. Cause I cannot decided whether to drop my purchase of an ssd and raid these two drives together or stick with my current plan and buy a ssd.
Old November 29, 2011, 05:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I own the 1st generation Momentus XT and it still performs admirably. My boot times are great as well as a couple of my most used programs. Definitely did wonders over my WD Black drive.

I agree with AkG though that 8GB still may not be enough. 16GB would most likely be overall the best bet for most consumers, but more than that would considerably cause the price to raise dramatically. I can see the OS, browser with lots of tabs, office programs and a game here or there to occupy the 16GB.