Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 22, 2011, 02:56 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Installing a SSD boot drive and keeping pre-existing drive as it was???

I have an older mother board Asus M4A78T-E so itís a SATA II 3 gig connection. I currently have a 640 gig WD Black drive it is loaded with games and whatnots ~ Probably close to half full 250 gig plus Win 7 64 bit installed so lets say 300 gig or so full. I want to add A SSD boot drive and have my eye on a OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD2-2AGTE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD). It has decent ratings and is a SATA II.

If I buy this SSD and load win 7 is the following possible (or if there is a better way let me know or if I am missing something please indicate)

1. Disconnect the WD black drive.
2. Connect the SSD drive
3. Change boot sequence to DVD drive than SSD (Is there a trim setting that needs to be changed in the bios?)
4. Load windows
5. Install all drivers needed to run system board drivers sound drivers graphic drivers.
6. Get the system running like new on the ssd.
7. Then open the case and connect the old WD Black drive
8. Open the bios make sure the SSD is #1 in boot sequence.
9. Change target path as I use programs / Make new Shortcuts

Thanks in advance
Old November 22, 2011, 03:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

You don't even have to disconnect the old drive, but I'm not sure what you mean by change target paths. You'll need to reinstall everything, your games and whatnots.
Old November 22, 2011, 03:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you want to install windows 7 on the new ssd you would have to make sure your sata controller is set to AHCI (for TRIM) in your bios, then install W7 on the ssd as a fresh install. You are going to have to reinstall all of your games and other programs. I don't think you can have windows on the ssd and then have games and such on another drive. Then you could use the WD black as a storage drive for game backups and file storage.
Old November 22, 2011, 03:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

Sure you can have games and programs on another drive, why can't you?
Old November 22, 2011, 03:55 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

If you copy over files from X:\Users\<user>\Appdata\ relating to your programs you can preserve most settings. Works great for things like Firefox, Firezilla, Xfire. Almost everything.

They still require you to re-install teh apps. T here's no way around this. (Steam is a good exception though, you can just run the EXE, enter an e-mailed security key and voila, it's like nothing happened.