Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 6, 2011, 08:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Data travler USB port question

I use a 8gb data traveler to move video files off of my Computer to a media player in the other room , today I plugged in the Data traveler into a Multi port USB adapter and a message popped up saying that I would get faster speeds is I plugged the Data traveler into a USB2 port. How do I figure out which port is USB2 or USB3?
Old November 6, 2011, 09:21 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Typically USB3 has a blue connector, also I have run into issues with USB hubs / splitters that where USB2 yet my computer tagged it as a USB1 device due to it not receiving enough power from the PC to support all the devices connected.

There may be USB3 ports out there that don't use the blue color scheme, I just haven't seen any yet.

Old November 6, 2011, 11:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm ok , I guess that if I look at my MB manual and plug my USB hub into the USB3 port I will have USB3 ? when I bought the Hub Last year I never thought about compatibility I wonder if this really matters for USB hubs.
Old November 6, 2011, 11:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
Hmm ok , I guess that if I look at my MB manual and plug my USB hub into the USB3 port I will have USB3 ? when I bought the Hub Last year I never thought about compatibility I wonder if this really matters for USB hubs.
Only if it is a usb3.0 hub, again got to have the blue usb ports or it isnt usb3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old November 6, 2011, 12:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

darn I really wished I new this before I bought it last year lol, is there a way for me to test what the Hub is?