Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 5, 2011, 05:06 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default SSD reformat and OS install. Should I have used the OCZ utility?

When I first got my SSD I ran the OCZ utility to initialize it and followed some instructions AKG posted here. Well I replaced my mobo and it has always been my SOP to do a full format of the OS drive and reinstall everything from scratch.

BUT...

I did a full format from my Win7 disk and not from the OCZ utility = Doah...
Now the drive is much slower. (but still faster than a normal platter drive)

My question: Is there any problem with running an SSD under a windows format as opposed to the OCZ format. I'm thinking about drive longevity rather than performance. I can live with poor performance until I NEED to format again but format and re-install is generally a PITA and I'd rather put it off until needed. But I don't want to decrease the drive lifespan if that is a potential from this type of format/operation.