Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 3, 2011, 08:03 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Corsair Force 3

I've been considering buying an SSD lately once I got some spare cash. I was just looking today and stumbled upon this on DirectCanada which seemed to be a great price for a 120GB SSD. I don't really have the cash at the moment to buy one, but the price seems too good to pass up, so I'm considering it. Only thing though is I don't know much about SSD's. I'm not looking for a top of the line SSD that I'll get maximum reads and writes out of. Just want a SSD to put my OS on, and store a few other commonly used programs. In general, just want one to speed up my system.

Corsair Force 3 Series 120GB - $130.77

Last edited by Flemminr; November 3, 2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old November 3, 2011, 10:28 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Many knowledgeable people are avoiding Sandforce-based SSDs because of their poor reliability record (this may have been fixed via a recent firmware update, but the jury's still out). This is a refurbished Sandforce drive, which is enough to send me running in the other direction.

You don't know if it's a matter of a drive being returned because someone couldn't figure out how to set it up (admittedly more likely), or whether it was faulty and was repaired. Either way, 30 days is a very short warranty for a Sandforce drive.
Old November 4, 2011, 07:57 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for the reply.

Did some more searching yesterday anyway and I won't be able to get an SSD. My SATA III ports don't support TRIM since they're using a Marvell controller.
Old November 4, 2011, 07:33 PM
MVP

My System Specs

TRIM keeps the drive in good condition, but so can the drive's internal garbage collection. If you give the drive sufficient idle time, it will clean itself up. The most common recommendation is the Crucial M4. The M4 does not recover well when constantly hammered, but when allowed to idle it does recover its speed. AKG tends to recommend it for non-TRIM environments.

Having run both a Sandforce (OCZ Vertex 2) and Marvell (Crucial M4) in XP on an IDE board as my OS drives, I had no loss of speed. That said, I gave my computer at least a half-hour of idle time every day via a delayed shutdown. No inconvenience to me, and my benchmark speeds never degraded.

I should also note people have been running RAID setups without TRIM for some time. Is it preferred, absolutely. Is it required, particularly for a home user who is easier on the drive, not particularly.
Old November 4, 2011, 09:41 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
I should also note people have been running RAID setups without TRIM for some time. Is it preferred, absolutely. Is it required, particularly for a home user who is easier on the drive, not particularly.
Could you elaborate on this a bit?
Gigabyte GTX780
Caviar Black 1TB x2 RAID0
Corsair Gold 850W
Corsair H80
Corsair 600T Graphite
Old November 4, 2011, 10:27 PM
MVP

My System Specs

See first paragraph of the same post.