Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 3, 2011, 02:37 AM
Top Prospect

Default Crucial M4 120GB SSD or Intel 320 120GB SSD?

I'm a bit torn between the Crucial M4 120GB SSD and the Intel 320 120GB SSD. Tom's Hardware recommends the Crucial as the best bang for the buck SSD at that price range. However, I remember Anand not being 100% satisfied with Crucial in their review and I don't know what Crucial's reliability record is. I know Intel's drives have a solid reputation in the industry. In fact, I'm using an Intel 40GB SSD as my boot drive at the moment.

I'm avoiding SandForce drives due to its unproven record. While it's fast, it doesn't seem like its drives are very reliable.

Base on where I live, I can get the M4 for $209. The Intel 320 is selling for $189. Which one would you buy if reliability is priority number 1 follow by speed?

Thanks!
Old November 3, 2011, 07:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'd get the intel ssd. They are quite reliable, work well, and its cheaper than the crucial one.
Old November 3, 2011, 10:19 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post
I'd get the intel ssd. They are quite reliable, work well, and its cheaper than the crucial one.
What if it was the same price?
Old November 3, 2011, 10:43 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

To me it would come down to one question:

Do you have sata 6bs ports? If so get the M4 (especially if they pass on trim).
OR do you only have sata 3gbs ports? If so get the Intel.

Both companies have great CS. Both drives are very stable and reliable. I use both, one for new rigs and the other for OLDER rigs that need some added life. ;)

YMMV

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 4, 2011, 12:32 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
To me it would come down to one question:

Do you have sata 6bs ports? If so get the M4 (especially if they pass on trim).
OR do you only have sata 3gbs ports? If so get the Intel.

Both companies have great CS. Both drives are very stable and reliable. I use both, one for new rigs and the other for OLDER rigs that need some added life. ;)

YMMV
I'll be upgrading my PC and afaik, both AMD and Intel's current generation of chipsets support native SATA III.