Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 1, 2011, 03:31 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Need some insight

I'm thinking about picking up a Kingston SSDNow SV100S2/128GZ 128 GB Internal Solid State Drive to serve solely for my OS (win7pro) but I'm wondering how much I'll notice/appreciate it on my desktop.

My desktop is used for web browsing/torrenting/ftp server/home media server. It's always on, I do not game on it.
Old November 1, 2011, 07:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You will notice that your computer is much more snappy and responsice when you open folders and load programs. It will boot into windows faster as well. Since your machine is always on, and you aren't gaming it might not be worth it for you though.
Old November 1, 2011, 08:40 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

EVERYTHING TURNS EPIC.
By boot time, we mean not just to load windows, but ALL your applications.
No more waiting 2min in desktop for all your clutter to load!
Like dandelioneater (lol, like your name) said, its MUCH snappier. It becomes SO much of an improvement, if you try to switch back to your HDD, you'd cry =P
Old November 1, 2011, 01:23 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I just wondering if its worth it, as Dandelioneater said, my PC is always on so boot time is not really a issue...
Old November 1, 2011, 02:55 PM
Top Prospect

It's definitely a good investment. I installed a Crucial M4 128GB ssd today and it's been working great. My PC was kind of slow (bought it 5 years ago) and it seems to be more responsive, faster with booting, apps and games load faster. It's great.

You could also get a smaller drive, 128GB might be a little too big if you don't have any big games to install on. You should settle with 60GB, that should be more than enough for your OS and all programs.
Old November 1, 2011, 02:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

Price vs Performance isn't still there imho.

Most people who run SSDs will tell you that the difference isn't that noticeable.

Biggest difference I saw with a SSD was boot times but most other stuff was just like any other drive.
Old November 1, 2011, 04:45 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Price vs Performance isn't still there imho.

Most people who run SSDs will tell you that the difference isn't that noticeable.

Biggest difference I saw with a SSD was boot times but most other stuff was just like any other drive.
This what I'm thinking.

I'll most likely pick it up anyway (good price) for my new build.
Old November 1, 2011, 06:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

in your case a 128 GB unit might be a waste of money. For OS boot drive only even 30GB is enough. Mine is an old model but you might want to consider a 60GB model. Spend the rest of the money on a large capacity drive to hold those torrents :)
Old November 1, 2011, 09:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I can say that I notice it. The thing is people get used to the speed. I know I do as I have SSD's in my notebook, my wife's notebook, my desktop and my work machine. But I still set up plenty of new and old machines that just have HDDs and I sure notice the difference.

As for size I honestly don't get how 30 could be good enough. I mean Windows 7 takes about 20 just on its own. You should give yourself to install your main programs and still not have it completely full. While I know you mentioned that you are not gaming, that is one area I do notice it and that is the load screens and just overall load times are much improved. Oh and I generally leave my machine on all the time as well, but even so it sure is nice when I have to restart it that it takes less than a minute from the time I click restart till the time I am back into the system logged in and everything.

Is it worth it? I would say yes but it is still expensive. Then again it is the best way to get more life out of a system. Anyways that is my 2 cents.

Old November 1, 2011, 09:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I notice 2 Intel X-25V's in RAID as a huge difference.

Programs, and even windows explorer are MUCH snappier. Things load within a second, CS5.5 loads in under 5 seconds etc.