Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 2, 2011, 10:27 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Love this drive, nothing else is even close!
Old November 3, 2011, 02:42 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Nice review AkG!

I'm rather taken aback by the performance!

Its a terrible tragedy with all that is happening overseas, and bad that its affected the HDD market (among others), however I'm optimistic about the future, and looking forward to seeing what a 1TB version could do :)

Like many have said, its hit and miss with hard drives, and its inevitable that they will eventually fail at some point.

For me, I've had certain brands fail much more than others, but c'est la vie.

Price I don't mind so much, so long as it doesn't cost as much as an SSD.
Old November 3, 2011, 04:12 AM
MVP

i used to be known for going through hard drives like peanuts. maxtor and seagate are the only ones that have failed on me. last one was the OS drive in my server, a seagate of course.

pass

rob123
Old November 3, 2011, 04:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Question, do you require UEFI to use 2.2TB+ drives for storage, or is that requirement only for OS drives.
Old November 3, 2011, 10:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
Question, do you require UEFI to use 2.2TB+ drives for storage, or is that requirement only for OS drives.
I believe that is only for the OS drives, if I recall. I know I put a 3TB WD Green in my media server and it just has a older board no UEFI and it shows as 3TB.

Old November 3, 2011, 03:58 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
I believe that is only for the OS drives, if I recall. I know I put a 3TB WD Green in my media server and it just has a older board no UEFI and it shows as 3TB.
Pretty much correct.

Anything over 2.2TB needs to be formatted w/ a GPT partitioning table. Only UEFI boards can boot from a GPT drive.

I have a strong suspicion that one of the external 3TB Seagate GoFlex drives I bought today is a Barracuda. Will attempt to crack her open today to double check.
Old November 3, 2011, 04:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Pretty much correct.

Anything over 2.2TB needs to be formatted w/ a GPT partitioning table. Only UEFI boards can boot from a GPT drive.

I have a strong suspicion that one of the external 3TB Seagate GoFlex drives I bought today is a Barracuda. Will attempt to crack her open today to double check.
Actually this is a bit of a misconception.

UEFI can BOOT from 2.2 or larger drives but so can certain OS's:
Windows 7
Windows Server 2008
Windows Server 2008 R2
Windows Vista
Windows Server 2003 SP1
Windows Server 2003 (64-bit)
Windows XP x64 edition

All can boot from GPT tables.. Yup even good ole XP x64 :D
Old November 3, 2011, 04:21 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Actually this is a bit of a misconception.

UEFI can BOOT from 2.2 or larger drives but so can certain OS's:
Windows 7
Windows Server 2008
Windows Server 2008 R2
Windows Vista
Windows Server 2003 SP1
Windows Server 2003 (64-bit)
Windows XP x64 edition

All can boot from GPT tables.. Yup even good ole XP x64 :D
Those OSes support GPT. But unless you use a UEFI board or some sort of boot loader or work around you still won't be able to boot from a drive using GPT.

Quote:
Q. Can Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 read, write, and boot from GPT disks?

A. Yes, all versions can use GPT partitioned disks for data. Booting is only supported for 64-bit editions on UEFI-based systems.
Windows and GPT FAQ

EDIT: My GoFlex is definitely an ST3000DM001. Only paid $139 for it too.
Old November 7, 2011, 06:39 PM

My System Specs

AkG, did you notice how the drive sounded? I find its seeks to be incredibly annoying. It really is a high pitched sound.
Old November 7, 2011, 07:40 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Honestly, I found mine to be very quiet with only a minor to moderate buzz / chirp during seeks. But then again it all depends on the particular frequency. Could be you are more sensitive to it then me...or Im just tone deaf on that feq. :)

Also where your is the external model...could be setup slightly differently in the firmware. I know my previous 3TB ext vs 3TB internal sound and act COMPLETELY differently from one another. Another possibility is your PSU. I find Seagate hdds to complain a LOT more over minor ripple. Yank it and try on a dif PSU....and dif line on your PSI. Might be something upstream from it pushing a bit of ripple / noise / emi on to the 12 or 5 line.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr