Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 30, 2011, 03:03 PM
Top Prospect

Default Crucial M4 or..

The only thing holding me back from finishing my pc is my ssd's.
I previously had 2 Agility 60's( 1 year) in raid and never had a issue until I started rebuilding a new pc and they became unusable. OCZ replaced them with a single Agility 2 120 gb. I also have a single 60gb agility 2 that I used for dumping crap to.
Here is the issue, ever since I switched to the single drive it's obviously not the same. So I want to upgrade to either 2 64gb M4's OR a single 128gb M4 OR a single sandforce (mushkin / ocz) driven ssd.
I know I will be losing TRIM with raid, but I am more interested in pure loading and access speed. The only thing that will be installed on this machine is Win 7 Ultimate, security, and whatever BF3 needs.(maybe steam)

I guess what I am asking is ...are the sandforce drives still a crap shoot?
Or go for a single 128gb M4 and maybe be happy? or get the 2 M4 64 gb and give raid another go.(If I could afford two 128gb M4's this week I would do it..but I can't swing it this week. (and BF3 has been on top of the fridge since release )
Any personal experiences would be appreciated. And sorry for the all over the place post.

I have a MSI P67A-GD55 (B3) , i5 2500K, 8 gb ram, no optical drive.
Here is a screen shot of the 2 agility's in raid.
Attached Images

Old October 30, 2011, 03:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would say 2 64GB M4's.. although sandforce drives are generally faster, and that the bsod issue has been corrected by sandforce (AFAIK at least) I would still go for the M4 for it's reliability.