Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 13, 2011, 07:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

they need to increase prices to compensate for the losses that they will incur due the the shortage of supply coupled with probably steady or rising demand. I don't know how this is the hard concept for you to understand. People are not going to be buying hard drives, obviously, due to the increased pricing that the hard drive makers will have to pass on, and these retailers have goals to meet. Thus they must start trying to keep up with their goals now.
Old November 13, 2011, 07:25 AM
F@H

My System Specs

People honestly need to remember that big commercial companies for the most part care more about their profits then they do about their consumers. Its true NCIX didn't have to jack up their prices on HDDs when they had stock of units at lower prices, but this was done so they could pad their wallet more using the claim of supply and demand. When newer more expensive batches come to them they'll still be making the same net profit per HDD, they'll just be selling them in lower volumes, relying on the jacked up prices of their lower cost units to compensate for this loss.
Old November 13, 2011, 01:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The problem is that when newer batches of more expensive drives come in they are sure to maintain the same ratio of profit and further increase prices. They have no issue doubling prices overnight, is there any doubt they will continue to do the same in the future?

As for supply and demand and so forth, I also understand this. They have the right to jack up prices however they see fit, it is a free market. I just can't stomach it. This to me smacks far more of a market correction and not just a quick cash grab. I will be curious to see where prices are a few years from now and if this current level of scalping ever gets reversed as I would bet that it does not.