Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 28, 2011, 05:37 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default IDE Hard Drive

i'm planning to add a second hard drive to an old pc is it possible to connect hard drive on the same ide cable that the dvd drive is on?would that work

the way the case is setup dvd is on top of floppy drive(panning to replace floppy with second hard drive) and to the right of the dvd is the primary hard drive. no other mounting options for this case

i've read you can't connect a hard drive to the floppy connection because hard drive=40pins and floppy=34pin so that is probably not an option

Compaq Evo D51S Small Form Factor
Compaq Evo Desktop D510 845G - World Wide QuickSpecs
Old October 28, 2011, 05:41 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

IDE drives typically have a jumper to set master/slave on the IDE bus, so as long as your dvd drive is set to a slave and your hard drive to master, you won't have any problems.
Old October 28, 2011, 06:08 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

great i'll try that as soon as i get the second hard drive
Old October 29, 2011, 10:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've connected a HDD and ODD (optical drive) to the same IDE cable before. If you can, set the jumpers to master / slave appropriately and don't rely on Cable Select (I know a few older IBMs go nuts if you try to make them decide). Also don't forget that the device connected to the very end of the IDE cable is always the master (slave is connected to the header the comes out somewhere in the middle of the cable). If you run the ODD as master and the HDD as slave, you may have lower performance, but it's not really noticeable unless you have a very old ODD or one of the faster hard drives, like a WD Caviar SE16.

You are correct the floppy and hard drive / ODD are different interfaces.
Old October 29, 2011, 11:35 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Make sure you use an 80 wire IDE cable for the hard drive, as the 40 wires can't support as high a bandwidth and may become a bottleneck.

Also note that if you have two hard drives on the same cable, transferring files between them will go very slow. If you have two IDE connectors on your motherboard, one will probably be blue and one black. The blue is primary and your main drive should be attached to this channel.