Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 16, 2011, 09:19 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default OCZ Synapse

So what do you guys think of the new OCZ Synapse SSD. I know you can do SSD Caching with the new Intel chipsets but for people with P55 etc.… it might be a good idea? Can’t find any reviews yet but I see them showing up at retailers.
I like the idea of caching more than an dedicated SSD since it should speed up anything you use the most without having to worry about what to installed on the SSD and what to install on the mechanical drive. Hope to see a review and there implementation, hopefully it will give a good boost without much problems.
Old October 18, 2011, 05:35 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

No opinions from anyone on this? I'm really thinking of getting this.
Old October 18, 2011, 03:22 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I'll see what I can do on getting one for review. No guarantees. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 18, 2011, 03:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

While I can see the potential use for these, I'm not interested. I'd rather just buy a Vertex 3 120GB for $200, than a Synapse 128GB for $270. You're paying for the caching software, but I think a 120GB boot/application drive would be faster in most cases. I'm not sure that the caching software will pass TRIM to the SF-2281 controller, so I think you'd see the Synapse drive degrade in performance with use.
Old October 18, 2011, 06:58 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
I'll see what I can do on getting one for review. No guarantees. ;)
It would be cool if you could, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
While I can see the potential use for these, I'm not interested. I'd rather just buy a Vertex 3 120GB for $200, than a Synapse 128GB for $270. You're paying for the caching software, but I think a 120GB boot/application drive would be faster in most cases. I'm not sure that the caching software will pass TRIM to the SF-2281 controller, so I think you'd see the Synapse drive degrade in performance with use.
Ya the price is not that good but if it works good then it could be more of a benefit to me, my usage pattern changes a lot when it comes to games and some apps, I will start playing an older game that has been sitting on the hard-drive for a while, same goes for some apps I won't touch for a while then need all of a sudden. You get where I'm going with this, I don't want to reinstall an old game on SSD that I might only play for a day or keep apps on it I might not use for a while, this I think is the real benefit of caching, if they get it right that is. As far as TRIM goes I don't have much hope of it working, but I would hope OCZ has put in a more aggressive garbage collection than whats on other SandForce drives, a review would be nice.
Intel has also seen a need for this but there solution seems to have problems from what I have read, OCZ system could be better or not? But it seems that OCZ will give more control to the end user as to what files to cache, hopefully they get it right.
Old October 18, 2011, 07:16 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDogZero View Post
It would be cool if you could, thanks.

Ya the price is not that good but if it works good then it could be more of a benefit to me, my usage pattern changes a lot when it comes to games and some apps, I will start playing an older game that has been sitting on the hard-drive for a while, same goes for some apps I won't touch for a while then need all of a sudden. You get where I'm going with this, I don't want to reinstall an old game on SSD that I might only play for a day or keep apps on it I might not use for a while, this I think is the real benefit of caching, if they get it right that is. As far as TRIM goes I don't have much hope of it working, but I would hope OCZ has put in a more aggressive garbage collection than whats on other SandForce drives, a review would be nice.
Intel has also seen a need for this but there solution seems to have problems from what I have read, OCZ system could be better or not? But it seems that OCZ will give more control to the end user as to what files to cache, hopefully they get it right.
NP. One thing though is....SandForce locks down their firmware. OCZ has ZERO control over it. Thus it will NOT have better ITGC than any other SF drive. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 18, 2011, 07:22 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
NP. One thing though is....SandForce locks down their firmware. OCZ has ZERO control over it. Thus it will NOT have better ITGC than any other SF drive. ;)
That sucks, maybe there is the most miniscule of a chance TRIM will be passed on?

Edit: Just reread the spec sheet and guess what it list (Native TRIM support with supported OS )

Last edited by TopDogZero; October 18, 2011 at 07:51 PM.