Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 9, 2011, 08:42 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default OCZ RevoDrive 3 X2 480GB PCI-E SSD Review Comment Thread

With SSD technology progressing at a breakneck pace, some areas of the market have begun to demand drives which could theoretically outstrip the new SATA 6 Gbps standard. In order to offer the best possible performance without limitations, OCZ has looked to the PCI-E bus for one of their SSDs. The RevoDrive 3 X2 drives are considered the flagships of their current PCI-E SSD lineup and while these drives certainly don't come cheap, they offer some truly jaw dropping performance.

You can read the review here: OCZ RevoDrive 3 X2 480GB PCI-E SSD Review
Old October 9, 2011, 11:37 PM
MVP

I will not post drunk
I will not post drunk
I will not post drunk
I will not post drunk
I will not post drunk
EVGA GTX 580 SSC
Caviar Black 1TB x2 RAID0
Corsair Gold 850W
Corsair H80
Corsair 600T Graphite

Last edited by keto; October 10, 2011 at 07:23 AM.
Old October 9, 2011, 11:48 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Why would think it needs to be perfect to get an Innovative award? DI awards means its a unique product that does what it claims to do and do it in such a way that has not been seen before.

I have yet to see a product that was perfect. Even products that I consider Dam Good, Dam Good Values and Dam Innovative I find a flaw with. Maybe that makes me overly nit-picky but if you actually read the review you will see the pros and cons laid out in detail for you.

You havent been around here long enough, but seriously if you somehow think I have been paid off by a company to give a good review you are dreaming or smoking something. I call them as I see them. Like it, don't like...I do not care.

Edit:
. Its all good Keto. Been there done that myself a couple times.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; October 10, 2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old October 10, 2011, 08:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

Hey great review AkG !
I've been waiting for you to get you hands on these for a review.

Old October 10, 2011, 10:04 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

We have a Hybrid model on tap too. Review should be up in the next week or two.
Old October 14, 2011, 12:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I was heavily leaning towards a Revo 3 X2 240GB for an upcoming build until I read your review AkG. The CPU usage is a complete deal-breaker. I can't believe it uses up three of four cores just sitting there idle. I would have wanted to use it in a box that would be doing a lot of H.264 encoding, but if the Revo really hogs that many cycles then it would certainly do way more harm than good.

As for TRIM, I will usually accept its loss and actually took the news that TRIM support may one day be enabled for the Revo through an MS StorPort driver update as a pleasant surprise. But you mention that you don't "realistically expect anything soon." What would be your best guess as to when this driver update could be realistically expected?

As always - thorough review!

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old October 14, 2011, 02:28 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post

Edit:
. Its all good Keto. Been there done that myself a couple times.
Thank you, sir. I woke up going...'did I..? I didn't, did I..?'. Walked straight from bed to computer and deleted...unnecessary commentary.
EVGA GTX 580 SSC
Caviar Black 1TB x2 RAID0
Corsair Gold 850W
Corsair H80
Corsair 600T Graphite
Old October 14, 2011, 03:08 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
I was heavily leaning towards a Revo 3 X2 240GB for an upcoming build until I read your review AkG. The CPU usage is a complete deal-breaker. I can't believe it uses up three of four cores just sitting there idle. I would have wanted to use it in a box that would be doing a lot of H.264 encoding, but if the Revo really hogs that many cycles then it would certainly do way more harm than good.

As for TRIM, I will usually accept its loss and actually took the news that TRIM support may one day be enabled for the Revo through an MS StorPort driver update as a pleasant surprise. But you mention that you don't "realistically expect anything soon." What would be your best guess as to when this driver update could be realistically expected?

As always - thorough review!
Thanks mate. I can honestly say I had BLAST testing this beast. The amount of power it offers it kinda scary. But yes the cpu usage is going to be a major concern. Maybe when socket 2011 hits and we have 6 core monsters this usage will be more than "good enough".

As to your question....honestly....no idea. We are not just talking glacial paced MS here but ALSO dealing with the ultra conservative SCSI driver team. MS are not quick to mess with their "Business" drivers and while the update would be probably pretty quick to implement...the level of testing to make sure it doesn't "break" anything SCSI related can be.....lets say steep. Add in a a big ?? for how high on the list of things to do this is and you end up with a big old "god only knows...and he aint telling" deal. Could happen within days (as they have been out for a bit now) or could be months....or even product cycles and the RevoDrive X will benfit from it. For me, I am like you and will consider it a bonus when / if it happens.

Until then, ITGC is your friend and with FOUR SF2281's and a VERY intelligent controller (and brilliant hybrid raid setup) I doubt it will be an issue unless you REALLY hit the drive hard continuously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keto View Post
Thank you, sir. I woke up going...'did I..? I didn't, did I..?'. Walked straight from bed to computer and deleted...unnecessary commentary.
ROFL. Yeah I have had mornings like that mate. Its all good.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 14, 2011, 05:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
I was eye this one up as well as potential drives for some machines at work but after that usage bit I was turned off of them. I just can't believe how much it uses. It sure does take what would in my mind be an amazing product and turn it into an amazing but almost useless device.

Maybe they will be better suited for the 2011 when it is out, but even then I still think it will be not worth the loss of CPU cycles.