Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 26, 2011, 08:06 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default OCZ Agility 3 & Kingston HyperX

I have an Agility 3 120gb, and im buying a Kingston HyperX 120GB.
Cuz one SSD is not big enough for my games and apps.

I understand that the Agility 3 uses asynchronous memory, and the HyperX uses synchronous mem.
I also understand that the HyperX is basically equivalent to the Vertex 3.
And I also understand that the Agility is not as good as the Vertex cuz its not good at doing compressed data, and the Vertex is.
And the Vertex has a higher 4k read speed.

So I'm planning to use one for my OS and programs, and one for my games.

Which one would benefit which?
Agility for OS? Then faster game loading?
Or
HyperX for OS? Faster OS and program loading?

Or is this a totally pointless question because it doesn't even matter...?

Last edited by Beastylemon; September 26, 2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old September 26, 2011, 08:28 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Not precisely "pointless"...but close for most users. TBH both are going to be fast as your OS drive. The HyperX will indeed be faster. BUT will you notice a second here or there? Thats the question only you can answer. ;)

With THAT being said...since you've made up your mind already on the drives....
HyperX for OS, Agility 3 for games. Games are usually large sequential file transfers...and since the Hyperx IS faster at small file transfers....use it for your OS. You may "lose" a second here or there on game load times...BUT its better to take the hit here than on your OS and ALL apps.

YMMV.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 26, 2011, 08:55 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thank you kami-sama!