Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 24, 2011, 12:02 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Need help with raid question

Hi, I was wondering if I could do raid 10 with four 2TB Black drives, I use windows XP as well and I know it will not boot with more then 2.2TB of space, so how would I get around this? Should I upgrade to windows 7 and would that work better?

Also can someone tell me if these raid cards would work and if there pci or pci-express?

for raid 10
NCIX.com - Buy Syba PCI-3114-4IR-01 PCI SATA Controller Card 4-PORT W/ RAID 0/1/0+1/5 Software - Syba - SY-SA3114-4R - in Canada

for raid 1
NCIX.com - Buy Syba SD-SATA-150R 2 Channel SATA Controller Card with Optional RAID 0/1 Function PCI - Syba - SD-SATA150R - in Canada

What do you guys think? I sorta think it would be smart to have raid 1, since I do run a business and am always backing up drives to my passport drive or an internal drive. So I was thinking raid 1 would be nice since it automatically keeps a backup. So can you guys help me pick what set up to go with?

Also how do you go about installing raid...never did do it, I know when installing XP it asks if you have any raid devices to press a key to set it up. But yeah any help would be great thanks.
Old September 24, 2011, 03:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Moving to Windows 7 would be easier, and using the RAID of any Intel based motherboard (ICHxR chipsets) would be better than using those RAID cards, in my opinion.

According to your system listed you should have a ICH10R or a ICH9R RAID capable chipset. I would just use that. It'll work very well and you won't have a problem getting your data if your RAID controller fails (just buy another Intel based MB)
Old September 24, 2011, 03:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Honestly, i wouldn't use either of those cards for RAID. If you want a dedicated RAID card, try and get a dell perc 5i or 6i for around $100 off ebay.
Old September 24, 2011, 05:33 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If your data is so important to you, grab a dedicated raid card. Yes it is expensive, but its a whole lot more reliable and if u ever want to move to a new system with the raid array...you can.
Old September 24, 2011, 07:12 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

For RAID 1 I doubt he would gain an ounce of performance or difference in reliability from a dedicated card. If Blu does go for a dedicated card and starts looking at something more complicated then RAID 1 or 10 then I would not buy ether one of those cards. Adaptec, 3ware, Highpoint, Promise, take your choice any of them depending on your needs is fine. Or use the on board like Perineum mentioned if your going to stick to raid 1 or even 10.
Old September 25, 2011, 07:48 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I'm thinking my mobo might allow raid on it, but would I be able to select just 2 hard drives and leave my other two as just storage drives. I'm thinking I might just get the raid 1/0 card cause I'm just looking for basic raid 1 so that should work right? I checked my motherboard and no it doesn't support raid, hell I got two of them for $60 from ncix on sale.
Old September 25, 2011, 08:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu View Post
I'm thinking my mobo might allow raid on it, but would I be able to select just 2 hard drives and leave my other two as just storage drives. I'm thinking I might just get the raid 1/0 card cause I'm just looking for basic raid 1 so that should work right? I checked my motherboard and no it doesn't support raid, hell I got two of them for $60 from ncix on sale.
Your motherboard supports RAID via the ICH10R chipset according to page 79 of your users manual.

With a ICHxR RAID you can run 2 seperate RAIDs if you want, or you can run one RAID and then have a couple storage drives... which is what I'm currently doing.

Your absolute best bet is to use the motherboard's RAID for what you are trying to achieve. Those cards you have listed in the original post are crap and a waste of your time.

The ICHxR chipset is supported natively by Windows 7 and "just works" and works well. *IF* your motherboard fails you just take the drives and plug them into ANY motherboard that has the ICHxR chipset and the RAID will just show up. No fuss, no muss and you'll have your data again.
Old September 25, 2011, 08:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

you could also just run raid5 with the 4 drives, not just 10. 10 is you set up a raid 0 matrix first (stripe )and then you create another stripe, and then using the controller setup you mirror the first one on the second. kinda complicated. I would just go raid 5 in your place.
Old September 25, 2011, 11:29 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Your motherboard supports RAID via the ICH10R chipset according to page 79 of your users manual.

With a ICHxR RAID you can run 2 seperate RAIDs if you want, or you can run one RAID and then have a couple storage drives... which is what I'm currently doing.

Your absolute best bet is to use the motherboard's RAID for what you are trying to achieve. Those cards you have listed in the original post are crap and a waste of your time.

The ICHxR chipset is supported natively by Windows 7 and "just works" and works well. *IF* your motherboard fails you just take the drives and plug them into ANY motherboard that has the ICHxR chipset and the RAID will just show up. No fuss, no muss and you'll have your data again.
Huh, I never seen raid in the feature list of this motherboard. But I just checked my second (Bought two of these mobo's with the intentions of removing my 680i from my old pc *mobo has alot of dead sata slots*)

And your right it does support raid, Can you sorta go through the instructions of how to set this up though? From what I understand I need a floppy drive? Or is there a way I can use a CD or a usb flash drive for XP 32bit at all? I never knew it supported raid thanks for pointing that out for me but yeah if someone could help me with the setup for installation that would be great,
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 775 - GA-EP45-UD3L (rev. 1.1)
Theres the link to my mobo and as stated above instructions start at page 79, I read it but I just really wanted to know how it would be possible to do it with maybe a cd or usb drive instead of a floppy...Cause I don't got a floppy drive lol...
Old September 26, 2011, 07:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

With the ICH10R chipset you can go into the BIOS and change it to RAID... once the computer boots up you install the Intel Storage Matrix software.

I know ICH10R supports online RAID migration so you *should* be able to migrate your existing HD into a RAID by selecting it in ISM (Intel Storage Matrix) and making it a RAID 1 (mirrored array). Then you plug in a new HD and selecting it in ISM and tell it to be added to that array. Like I said, I never did it quite like that but it should work similar to that. I would expect that to work but I have never done it that way.

You do not need the floppy disk for Windows 7, and not sure about Windows XP if you are doing a migration.