Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 22, 2011, 05:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default HP laptop dvd burner scratching DL DVDs

Hello folks!

I hope some of you can help in discerning whether my problem is hardware or software related. I have a an HP G60-549DX laptop I bought a couple of years ago and have been able to burn both single and dual layer DVDs with no trouble at all. A few weeks ago, I burned a blank TDK DL dvd and for a few minutes it seemed the process was going along fine until for some reason my burn went bad. Nero Express 7, which is what I have used before to burn both regular and DL dvds, froze for a few minutes and I ultimately had to manually eject the disc tray. The dvd's write side had these circular scratch patterns that resembled concentric circles. I tried to read the disc but my drive just could not do it. A few days ago I tried to burn a DL dvd again, same brand, but this time using ImageBurn and, like the last time, got a bad burn and the disc once more came out with these concentric circle scratches on its writing surface.

What bothers me is that single layer dvds burn fine in both Nero express 7 and ImageBurn so I am not really sure what is going on. My laptop burner is HP manufactured as well and listed as DVD-RW AD-7561S. Unfortunately, I live in Nicaragua and the laptop was purchased and brought to me from the US by an aunt that is no longer here so aside from returning the drive for a replacement if still under warranty and paying for a PC technician to come and look at it, is there anything else that I can do or check to see what is really causing this? If I have to hire a technician to come look at it the so be it, but first I want to make sure that I have a basic understanding of what is causing this to happen in the first place.

Would appreciate any comments that might help me sort this out

Thanks guys

Peace
Old September 22, 2011, 06:21 PM
Allstar

Do you have Daemon Tools installed? From my experience, Daemon Tools tend to mess up optical disk burning unless you switch to AstroBurn. I would contact HP first and ask how you would return the laptop as opening up it just to get at the drive may void the warranty. Personally, I will just get a DVD burner and an external enclosure and call it a day. Sure the speed would suck but that's may be the cheapest and fastest solution.
Old September 22, 2011, 06:55 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
Do you have Daemon Tools installed? From my experience, Daemon Tools tend to mess up optical disk burning unless you switch to AstroBurn. I would contact HP first and ask how you would return the laptop as opening up it just to get at the drive may void the warranty. Personally, I will just get a DVD burner and an external enclosure and call it a day. Sure the speed would suck but that's may be the cheapest and fastest solution.
Yes I do have Daemon Tools installed! Do you suggest that I uninstall Daemon Tools from my laptop or that I should just switch to AstroBurn? About the returning of parts to HP, that maybe a longshot since I did not purchase the laptop here in Nicaragua, an aunt purchased it for me in the US.

I will install AstroBurn and see how that goes.

Thanks so much for your comments
Old September 22, 2011, 10:59 PM
Allstar

You don't need to uninstall Daemon Tools if you use AstroBurn. During the install process, Daemon Tool blah something about performance issues which I promptly ignored before. I had the same problem when I was burning DVD-RW with imgburn where the drive just hangs.