Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 12, 2011, 06:46 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default OCZ possibly offering refunds on SSDs

Nothing definitive, but certainly suggestive in this stickied guide in the OCZ forums: Guide Increasing number of users asking for refunds..please read before posting if this applies to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony
If you have issues with your drives and require a refund, your first port of call is with the retailer...forget anything they show on their website, email them and ask they take the drive back...

If they still refuse, create a support ticket over at OCZ.COM, add all correspondence you had with the retailer to the ticket, this means copy paste the whole emails so we can see who you have talked too.

In house support can then work with the retailers to get you fixed up...
And another thread where a user was asking about getting a refund:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nut
Thank you for your response.
BUT.. the price of the drive is not a trivial amount of money to me, and I am strongly leaning towards seeking a refund.

I predict problems with the local sales organisation as they have been particularly unhelpful, and have a reputation for warranty stress, so there are still dark clouds ahead for me with the struggle of this product. I will be following your advice posted on a different thread.
you have to go back to the retailer, if they give you an issue just create a ticket over at ocz.com and forward any correspondence you had with the retailer to OCZ..we will then contact the retailer.

that said, new FW is inbound which is geared to help...no idea if it does yet as I do not have it but we will be testing soon.
Guess I'll test it out with NCIX and my third-time dead Vertex 2E.
Old September 12, 2011, 06:52 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Is there a particular drive/series of drives particularly problematic?
Fold for team #54196
Old September 12, 2011, 07:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Pretty much all OCZ drivers are being hated right now. They're being avoided like the plague.

Ok I'm exaggerating, but I'm seeing a lot of people saying how their SSD died rather quickly, like the Vertex 3, etc.
Old September 12, 2011, 07:11 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Right now you have SF2281 acting wonky with some rigs. Funny thing is...stick them in the exact same setup on another system and they (usualy) are fine. This is for ALL Sf2281s. So the entire line...for ALL mfgers. THOUGH I have heard there is less probs with the Toggle Mode NAND based ones (eg Vertex 3 MI).

Then you have the issue with 25nm and SF1200s. I am not a fan of this combination. Examples included Vertex 2 115GB

Thats the two big ones. Couple other minor ones but thats the two big uns.

OCZ is getting the brunt of it, because A) they sell more (law of big numbers) and b) have a support forum that actually provides SUPPORT (couple other companies do as well and they are rife with this issue too, just to a lesser extent...see A for reasoning on WHY this is ).

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 12, 2011, 07:35 PM
MVP

My System Specs

It's not just 25-nm and SF-1200, though. My particular saga's been centred on the 34-nm drives, and the failures my drives have experienced have been mirrored by too many others over too wide a period of time for the NAND to be a defining factor, unless the 25-nm NAND makes for an even more unreliable drive than the 34-nm + SF-1200 combination.

I've been making the same comment on OCZ as Akg -- it's not the company which is the source of the issue, it's the controller. It's just that OCZ didn't have a reputation for reliability to cushion the impact of the Sandforce issues. They do have a really good customer service department, in part because they got a lot of practice at it dealing with prior OCZ products.
Old September 12, 2011, 08:35 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I tried the Vertex 3 I have in 2 PC's and It had the same problems. Until now I thought they would release a new firmware that magically fixed it.
Its been sitting on my desk for at least a month, funny thing is I only have SATA 2 but my M4 out preforms it...by a lot, maybe its a lemon.

Old September 13, 2011, 12:17 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Reply on my support ticket last night -- I'm agreed, so am now waiting for an RMA and shipping label:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Luu
I sincerely apologize for the continued inconveniences you have been experiencing with your OCZ product. In order to receive a refund we will require you to ship the drive to us for testing/failure analysis. Once the tests are complete, the RMA department will then be able to make the call of replacement or refund. I have requested a shipping label be e-mailed to you, please let me know if you wish to go through with this refund procedure and I will gladly set this up for you.
Old September 13, 2011, 06:26 PM

Wow they're really stepping up to the plate on this.....

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old September 13, 2011, 06:42 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Thats interesting.

*Knock on wood* i havent had any problems with my SSD's (yet).

Hopefully things work out for those who have problems. And, if OCZ actually go through the refund process - kudos for them for stepping up.
-Swiffy MCP35x X2, (2) Aphacool UT60 480 rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.6 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ult 64-bit

HTPC Rig:
-G3258 @ Stock, Asrock Z97 Pro 4, Gigabyte 270x, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Corsair HX620 PS, Win 7 Ult 64-bit
Old September 14, 2011, 12:52 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Ive been running my Agi 2 for a year without an issue, seems to mostly affect the sata3 drives.