Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 12, 2011, 12:41 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Delayed write fail message

I haven't found anything in the search and when I google it I just find people saying to replace the hd or it's a ram problem, but yeah I'm getting this screen alot,

When I'm doing nothing at all, I'll just leave my pc and come back and there it is. Should I test my hard drive for defects or get ready to replace it?...
Old September 12, 2011, 12:45 PM
Allstar
F@H

Sadly it's spyware. I just had to fix a staff members computer with that on there. Try scanning with Spybot or MBAM.

Old September 12, 2011, 03:10 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Not necessarily -- you can also prompt the issue if by unplugging the drive while it's attempting to write. I discovered this while trying to rescue data off my latest SSD failure; it'll operate for a few minutes at a time. When it goes offline in the middle of a file copy, I unplug it for a few seconds to reset it and get that exact error message.

I'd do the malware scan, but if that turns up nothing run chkdsk or a more comprehensive utility such as Seatools.
Old September 12, 2011, 09:41 PM
MVP

My System Specs

No viruses or malware/spyware showed up, it is one of my element external drives it's occuring on so I'm just going to say it's probably loosing power for a couple seconds...
Old September 12, 2011, 09:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

turn off delayed writes.