Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 1, 2011, 02:56 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default 10 Terabyte RAID

Title says it all, I'm wondering the best way to setup/what I need for a RAID storage that has a capacity of 10TB for archiving/preserving media files.
Old September 1, 2011, 08:17 AM
Top Prospect

RAID6, eight 2TB drives and call it a day? :)
Old September 1, 2011, 08:41 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

raid 5 or 6
Old September 5, 2011, 06:58 PM
Rookie

I wonder if you guys suggest a hardware or software RAID. I currently have a large library (not quite 10TB, but getting there ;)) and occasionally I keep getting some problems which are hard for me to diagnose - it may be XFS that's misbehaving, or maybe the hardware RAID card is failing (it's a 3Ware). I don't really care for speed too much - it's only an archive after all, but I want a single large volume and I want protection of hardware failure.

I hear some people say that with hardware RAID a dead raid card can be extremely difficult to recover from, especially if you cannot obtain an identical one to replace it with. Is that true? Never had to recover from such a thing yet.
Old September 24, 2011, 06:57 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaza101 View Post
I wonder if you guys suggest a hardware or software RAID. I currently have a large library (not quite 10TB, but getting there ;)) and occasionally I keep getting some problems which are hard for me to diagnose - it may be XFS that's misbehaving, or maybe the hardware RAID card is failing (it's a 3Ware). I don't really care for speed too much - it's only an archive after all, but I want a single large volume and I want protection of hardware failure.

I hear some people say that with hardware RAID a dead raid card can be extremely difficult to recover from, especially if you cannot obtain an identical one to replace it with. Is that true? Never had to recover from such a thing yet.
Should be safe replacing a dead raid card with a card from at least the same manufacturer. LSI bought 3Ware and has continued the brand so far.
Old September 26, 2011, 01:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i guess that kind of protection that you are looking for could be achieved just by keeping a second card close by, and I mean an identical card of what you have. Otherwise, if the raid is of level 5 or 6 you should not worry about the HDDs failing, raid 5/6 can operate in a degraded state also, with one hdd down.
Old September 26, 2011, 01:25 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Just remember RAID is not a backup solution.