Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 27, 2011, 10:44 AM
Rookie

Question Intel 510 vs Crucial M4 (120GB)

I'm deciding between Intel 510 and Crucial M4. Reliability is important for me, and I don't mind if I lose a little bit of speed at the expense of more reliability (so I wont go for OCZ!).

The opinions I read on the net are 50-50. Which one is gonna be faster in a real life scenario? (Price does not matter)

Thanks
Old August 27, 2011, 01:08 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'm curious about this to.
I bought a OCZ Vertex 3 a few weeks ago,have it connected to SATA 2 and crashes like crazy...I've had it.
I see there's a new firmware for the M4 thats suppose to be 20% faster but to be honest I'm alittle gun shy at this point but I need a drive.

Last edited by r0bc; August 27, 2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old August 27, 2011, 01:35 PM

My System Specs

I'd go w/ the M4's. I think I'll be buying a bunch of them after seeing how well they are doing after the 009 firmware.
Old August 27, 2011, 01:45 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

It will be interesting to see if Intel can regain some lost ground via their own firmware improvements. BUT right now for TRIM envrios the M4 is the better deal (faster and cheaper). In non TRIM the Intel firmware is a bit faster (not as aggressive as Corsair's...but still faster than the M4) but not enough to warrant the difference in price.

The only sticky wicket in the equation is that the Intel uses Intel branded 25nm rated for 5K erase cycles whereas the M4 uses 3K. IMHO this is a non-issue for most people BUT if you plan on keeping the drive for say more than 5 years....it maybe become one later on.

YMMV, but for me M4 > 510

As an added bonus Crucial actually SUPPORTS hardwarecanucks (via sending items for us to review with no strings attached)...whereas Intel...well you dont see us reviewing any Intel SSDs now do you.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 27, 2011, 02:03 PM

My System Specs

From the tests done on XS here recently, the 64GB M4 they are testing has already done 5600+ write cycles to its NAND. And it doesn't look like it plans so slow down any time soon.
Old August 29, 2011, 11:31 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I just ordered Crucial M4 256GB but not sure what to do with this Vertex 3...maybe it'll get fixed someday,lesson learned.

Old August 30, 2011, 10:36 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Doesn't OCZ give you a 3 year warranty on that Vertex 3?
Or does the warranty not cover the "crashing"?

I just recently bought the Agility 3, and what are the conditions that allow you to use its warranty?

Ive been using it for a week now, hopefully it doesn't go crazy like all the stories ive been reading