Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 21, 2011, 08:28 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD Review Comment Thread

With every other manufacturer well into their enthusiast SATA 6Gbps releases, it was only a matter of time until Kingston joined the fray. Their new HyperX series uses long-life, high performance Intel NAND with a SandForce SF2281 controller which makes it one of the best possible combinations available for enthusiasts.

Read more here: Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD Review
Old August 21, 2011, 09:22 PM
Banned
F@H

nice.

so mr ak, would you take this over the vertex 3? ;)
Old August 21, 2011, 11:27 PM
Top Prospect

Although this drive does seem great, the Vertex 3's pricing is very convincing.
Old August 22, 2011, 08:53 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

To be honest, I rarely say "pick X" no matter what the scenario is as it mainly comes down to what your priorities are. Like I said in the intro, longevity vs performance vs price (vs CS). We all balance these main factors off and so too do the mfg'ers. If I was to pick a 240GB ONFi 2 based SF2281, the Kingston would be right up there. There is a lot to like about it with not much to not like.

Using 5K Intel NAND is a major point in this drive's favour. So too is Kingston's Customer Service rep. This is the company who instead of continuing to sell a drive that they knew would not get the TRIM firmware update...(most likely) took a major financial hit and EOL'ed it (the 40GB V). When companies are willing to do this, they really are "walking the walk" and not just "talking the talk" when it comes to CS.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 22, 2011, 10:40 AM
MVP

One question, when using the arconis true image software, does it just work once or can you use it multiple times. I have three computers I may upgrade with SSD's in the future, so if I bought this for my main PC, and used the software for all three PCs, it would make more sense to get the upgrade kit.

Also, its too bad you couldn't get into the casing of the SSD, some other sites did and have pictures of thick thermal tape applications put on the inside components. It turns the casing into a big heatsink and could have been one more point in the "pros" section of the summary.
Old August 27, 2011, 06:01 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I am curious about Kingston SSD's, considering one for my new build strictly for my OS (win 7 Pro or Ultimate).

128gb or larger?
Old August 27, 2011, 06:22 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegUsher View Post
One question, when using the arconis true image software, does it just work once or can you use it multiple times. I have three computers I may upgrade with SSD's in the future, so if I bought this for my main PC, and used the software for all three PCs, it would make more sense to get the upgrade kit.

Also, its too bad you couldn't get into the casing of the SSD, some other sites did and have pictures of thick thermal tape applications put on the inside components. It turns the casing into a big heatsink and could have been one more point in the "pros" section of the summary.
Like most of the versions included with a storage product it is my understanding that you can use it as many times as you wish, just as long as one of the drives involved in the process are a Kingston drive. Both WD and Seagate offer their own free download version so you should be able use SOME version regardless of what drives are involved. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quicken View Post
I am curious about Kingston SSD's, considering one for my new build strictly for my OS (win 7 Pro or Ultimate).

128gb or larger?
All I can say is that I really, really like the HyperX line. I have used Kingston SSDs in the past and they are very good company to do business with.

When people look at getting a SSD what I always tell them is: Pick your budget, then pick your size, then pick your controller.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr