Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 17, 2011, 03:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default SATA ssd vs PCI-E ssd...

Ok AkG , this ones for you.

I'm plotting for my new rig.I see all the standard ssd's , I run a force 120 in my lappy.SATA SSD's are great , then I see things like OCZ RevoDrive X2 PCI-E Solid State Drive, 220GB at Memory Express Computers and even this ; OCZ VeloDrive PCI-E Solid State Drive, 300GB at Memory Express Computers

Ever play with these ?

Worth the cash or no ?

I welcome any input.

Old August 17, 2011, 04:02 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Depends on a couple things. 1) If you dont mind taking a bit of a risk 2) what you plan on using your rig for.

1 - With dual or quad controllers degraded state or not they are beasts.... But you are paying for a lot power you will not get access to unless somethings happen (never did with previous models). Basically, to me the big issue is whether or not OCZ can get the OS to pass on the TRIM command to em. The Revo x2 has the potential to pass it on to the controllers..but its still a crap shoot on the future as IIRC nothing works over the PCIE interface when it comes to TRIM (as far as the OS is concerned). If you know what I mean. ;)

2- Their sequential speed is insane. IF you are doing say Blu-Ray demuxing and need SPEED they are unbeatable. IF you are just using your rig as a typical rig...500+MB/s (that a SF2281 in a SATA 6 interface) should be more than good enough for most peeps. For the money they are great IF you fall into their niche, otherwise I say go for a 240GB Pat Wildifre, Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB or OCZ Vertex 3 MaxIOPS 240GB...etc etc.

Just my two cents and to be honest I have NOT played with the new X2s all that much.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; August 18, 2011 at 05:38 PM. Reason: had a 2 isntead of a 3
Old August 17, 2011, 04:03 PM

My System Specs

The OCZ drives are essentially RAID'ed SSD SATA drives on a PCIe bridge chip. So expect it to perform almost identically. The newer third revision Revodrive is a bit better in that the VCA allows for the wiper to be run on the drives but that is about it. They really don't take advantage of PCIe, yet.

If you are serious about PCIe SSD's then look towards Micron, Fusion-IO, and soon Intel. They absolutely decimate the OCZ drives in terms of low queue depth, since they don't use a SATA controllers onboard. But expect to pay $1500 at the cheapest, and that would be grabbing one from eBay.

Hopefully since we've already pretty much broke the SATA 6Gbps barrier more companies will start to produce native PCIe controllers and cards.

EDIT: It isn't the PCIe interface that prevents TRIM, it is the SAS controllers that are the issue AFAIK. I know that TRIM works flawlessly on my ioXtreme.

EDIT 2: Fixed first sentence.

Last edited by lowfat; August 17, 2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old August 17, 2011, 04:09 PM

Not really mate. Expect them to perform like RAID'ed SATA 6 SF2281s. Still a crap ton of performance (and when talking about 4 controllers...damn) but I know what you mean WRT the "real" PCI-E'ers.

I too hope to see more and more PCI-E'ers hit the market as it would be nice to see them enter the CONSUMER niche via mass production...but until then 2K places them outside the consumer niche IMHO.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 17, 2011, 05:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

According to OCZ the new Revodrive X3 does pass the trim command.

Or you could just get this:
ioDrive Octal :: Fusion-io

Read Bandwidth (64 kB) 6.0 GB/s
Write Bandwidth (64 kB)
4.4 GB/s

Old August 18, 2011, 04:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

Ok , so lets put the 2000$+ stuff aside for the moment.

I see from your sig Lowfat , that you use a fusion 80 Gb ioXtreme.What is that ? Do you like it better than a standard SSD ? done any comparisons ? Is it less than 2000$ new ?

Also , AkG , I see you did'nt recommend the vertex 3 series.What's the best SATA ssd on the market right now ?

Thanks for the input guys.

Old August 18, 2011, 05:00 PM

My System Specs

ioXtreme was Fusion-IO's only prosumer SSD and it was only offered for a limited time. It was their cheapest product which I paid around $1000CAD for. Which is around $12.50/GB. It is extremely strong low queue depth performance, which is very important.

Fusion-IO drives can not be booted from. So I have to use it along side another SSD.
Old August 18, 2011, 05:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
Also , AkG , I see you did'nt recommend the vertex 3 series.What's the best SATA ssd on the market right now ?
I would guess that most people would say the Vertex 3 Max IOPS 240GB. That said I have not seen any reviews for the Patriot Wildfire 240GB which may give it a run for its money. Of course I am not complaining with my Corsair Force 3 240GB.

Old August 18, 2011, 05:46 PM

Yeah sorry about that..typo. It was SUPPOSED to read "Vertex 3 MaxIOPS". Basically IF you are talking about TRIM envrio rigs and have the coin...I would pick a SF2281 240GB 32nm Toshiba DDR Toggle Mode NAND drive. Whether it says OCZ, Mushkin or Patriot on the outside is secondary. All those companies have good reps, all are good to buy from. It just comes down to personal preference as a SF2281 loaded with 256GB worth of DDR TM NAND...is a SF2281 loaded with 256GB DDR TM NAND drive. Long life thanks to 32nm AND 16GB of over-provisioning... insane speeds. Its all good.

After that my next choice would be a Intel 510 or Crucial M4. I really, really wish someone would make a second gen Marvell 9174 with TM NAND as it would be a sight to behold Im sure.

To me when looking at SSDs I look at the QD1 an QD4 4k read and write results. That is the zone most peeps will be bouncing around in, in the real world....with the occasional dip into 16 and 32 que depths.

Last edited by AkG; August 18, 2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old August 18, 2011, 06:12 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
I would pick a SF2281 240GB 32nm Toshiba DDR Toggle Mode NAND drive.

To me when looking at SSDs I look at the QD1 an QD4 4k read and write results. That is the zone most peeps will be bouncing around in, in the real world....with the occasional dip into 16 and 32 que depths.
Thanks for this AkG. Sorry for butting in, but which SSDs meet those specs above?
Fold for team #54196