Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 18, 2011, 06:45 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

OCZ Vertex 3 MI, Pat Wildfire, Mushin Chronos Deluxe (not regular chronos) are the the 3 that I can think of, off the top of my head. But there's prolly a couple more out there :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 18, 2011, 06:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
ioXtreme was Fusion-IO's only prosumer SSD and it was only offered for a limited time.
Yea dammit.S'all good tho.

--

I wondered if that was'nt a typo AkG...heheh....and yea , I've paid serious cash for d9 ram etc, so I understand the whole 'internals' thang.

----

So here's some more questions.

I want the fastest OS drive I can get , with room for apps that need C: , but I also want near instant recovery from a failure.

So is something like raid 0+1 or 5 better , or would a single fast ssd with an imaged backup be better ?

Raid cards ?

thoughts ?

Old August 18, 2011, 06:54 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Hmm. Thats a tough one. I mean if moneys NO OBJECT...damn....plenty of choices! Talk to lowfat about some of the PCI-E'ers coming down the pipe. Would be my first inclination. ;)

OR get a say a 12 (or higher) PCIE card raid array controller with a BEEFY onboard controller and a crap ton of onboard memory...and battery...and drop a crap ton of M4s 256'ers on it in a 1+0 / 0+1 / 10 (depending on what it does). No worries about lack of TRIM as the "itgc/bgc" will keep the array flying. No worries about a SSD dieing (it does happen) as the raid array would cover it....and dont forget to sell a kidney, two arms, a leg, first born child, a left testicle...and maybe your right one as well for it. :)~

More realistic...single 240GB SF2281 or 256GB M4. Killer speed, relatively inexpensive....and clone the mofo'er, with continuous backup via say Acronis TI.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 19, 2011, 04:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yep.

I've looked into it......a decent 3-ware card , and 3 vertex 3's is over 2 grand anyways.

I think I'll just start with 1 good ssd and run acronis.Seems like the best option for now.

I do want to hear about upcoming pci-e solutions tho lowfat !

Old August 19, 2011, 04:52 PM

My System Specs

3ware....no. For SSD's you stick w/ Areca or the newer LSI cards. Everything else has way too much latency and generally hurt performance. LSI 9265-8i and a whole bunch of 40GB Intel 320s or 20GB Intel 311's would be my choice if you wanted to do the RAID thing.

The Intel 720 PCIe SSD should be out within the next couple of months and it should decimate. However I expect the price to be north of $3000 since it uses SLC.
Old August 19, 2011, 06:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am using the Force 3 240GB and have Acronis keeping it backed up so at the most I would lose two days if the drive failed.

I know that Memory Express has a good price on the MaxIOPs 240GB, I think it is on for $529. That is what I would go with now over the one I got.