Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 15, 2011, 10:25 AM
Rookie

Default External usb 3.0 drives

Hello
In the market for a external usb 3.0 hard drive. Been doing some research and found the LaCie Minimus 2TB drive. Looking for storage and perforamnce to use as a back up. I was also looking at the WD My passport ultraportable. Like that its powered from a usb cable. However, found that LaCie uses burshed aluminium casing instead of plastic for better heat dissipation which i think is necessary for 7200 rpm drives???? Also like the added storage LAcie drive offers. Dont really care it its ultraportable or not as it will be a desktop drive. I was wondering what you guys think? Any other options i might be overlooking? recomendations? I have a gigabyte x58A ud3r mobo and was wondering if anyone has had any or read about any issues with usb 3.0 on that mobo? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!
Old August 15, 2011, 12:48 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

The W.D.'s happen to disappoint me too much at the last couple of years...
Look for Iomega Ego(ultraportable) and Prestige(desktop 3.5 one), Highly recommended. The Lacie ones are ok as well.
At the desktop drives differences won't be big, but with ultraportables - choose wisely as they can be charismatic! ;)