Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 11, 2011, 08:02 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Patriot Wildfire 120GB SSD Review Comment Thread

Before getting the Wildfire, we had seen our fair share of the Sandforce invasion that is currently running amok in the SSD market. Expecting yet another rebrand of the same tried, tested and boring design, we didn't really expect much from Patriot's latest flagship drive. But instead of the same old story, we've found an SSD which dares to be different and exceeds every one of our expectations.

Read more here: Patriot Wildfire 120GB SSD Review
Old August 11, 2011, 08:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow that is quite the drive. One thing it made me wonder, would the 240GB version be any faster since it (I assume) uses the same higher density NAND?

Old August 11, 2011, 08:50 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

In all likelihood it would be similar in performance to a Vertex 3 MaxIOPS 240GB drive...as they both have the same controller, same firmware and very, very similar DDR TM 1.0 NAND. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 11, 2011, 09:27 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Question Wow...again

Well, it has been said but I have to say it too, Wow.

1. Curious, are these SSD provided to HWC by the drive vendor/manufacturer or are their bought through retail - out of pocket expense?

2. Also, I have been eyeing the Corsair line of SSD for my planned workstation build, but after this very impresssive benchmark-review, I am thinking Patriot; the only thing that would put me off is customer service. As such, how is Patriot CS compared to Corsair's?
Old August 12, 2011, 05:04 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

They are sent by the manufacturers. We don't have the capital necessary to buy such a large selection of SSDs.
Old August 13, 2011, 05:02 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Interesting Review. After reading i went to Newegg and it seems like more than a few people are having BSOD problems. There was a promise there from Patriot of a firmware update by the end of the week. Any idea if this fixed the problems people were having?
Old August 14, 2011, 05:30 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

It should fix some of the issues for some people. Right now no one knows what is happening and why it is happening. It isnt happening to most, only a few. BUT for some with SF drives (or Marvell) turning off hotplug support in the bios works. For others its more complicated. No one knows why some people are having problems and others are not...even if both have nearly identical setups.

This issue is not a Patriot or OCZ or a Corsiar or Marvell or a XYZ issue....its a motherboard bios + drivers + SSD issue.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr