Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

View Poll Results: What things do you want to see added to our reviews?
SATA 2 performance 18 46.15%
More non-SF drives reviewed 15 38.46%
Intel drives reviewed (eg 320 and 510) 16 41.03%
RAID performance 9 23.08%
128GB version of the M4 8 20.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 20, 2011, 03:31 PM
Banned

How about the ovious .... preformance on the SATA3 based AMD platforms ...
Old August 20, 2011, 03:47 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Its lower. Will be an across the board decrease. Anywhere from single to low double digit decrease, but it will stink no matter what SSD you buy so you can still use the charts to get an idea on where they will perform in relation to each other.

I will not be using AMD rigs for a storage testbed for a good long while as they have shown their lack of interest in the SSD niche; whereas Intel has been at the forefront of it.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 20, 2011, 07:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
I will not be using AMD rigs for a storage testbed for a good long while as they have shown their lack of interest in the SSD niche; whereas Intel has been at the forefront of it.
Then why should u write ANY then if your not willing to show preformance on BOTH platforms ... the world does NOT revolve around intel you know ...

Oh & don't forget mavel based controler cards as well ... unless I've missed you using those as well.
Old August 20, 2011, 08:17 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post
Then why should u write ANY then if your not willing to show preformance on BOTH platforms ... the world does NOT revolve around intel you know ...

Oh & don't forget mavel based controler cards as well ... unless I've missed you using those as well.

AMD is not happening. That is non-negotiable. The world may not revolve around Intel, but it does when talking about Solid State Drives. I tried the AMD route (and used an AMD testbed in a few reviews) and to be kind I did not like the results. I refuse to use inferior hardware when trying to show what a SSD can and can not do. It is my opinion that the best way to do that right now is via an 1155 rig.

To be honest, the testbed should not matter to you. Testing every possible configuration is impossible. Thus, your results on your ssd may vary from ours. It is only when compared against other drives on your system that they should - in general - stack up in a similar manner to our charts. This is the epitome of reviewing and why everyone should read as many reviews as possible on any drive. "MY" opinion on a drive is only one opinion based on a sample size of one. I do not think I am god, nor the last word on drives. Seek out as many POVs as you can before spending your hard earned money.

Right now I have a fully stable testbed that allows us to show apples to apples comparisons of the various solid state drives. In the future when AMD can show that their controllers are just as good as Intel's, I may revisit this issue and consider another AMD rig. This goes for Marvell and all the other 3rd party mfg'ers who have YET to even get TRIM to work. But this will not happen before I am satisfied.

If this does not satisfy you, you are more than welcome to spend the 50+ hours it takes (or 100+ hrs if you were to use two testbeds...or 150+ if you use three...etc etc) and post a member reviews on any item you wish. I am sure other people would be interested in seeing your results.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; August 20, 2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old August 20, 2011, 09:24 PM
Banned

Was just sayin & have offered, but was told no ... so ...
Old August 20, 2011, 09:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

More non-SF and more mainstream sizes (60/64GB and 120/128GB).
Old August 24, 2011, 08:42 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
More non-SF and more mainstream sizes (60/64GB and 120/128GB).
Yes please.