Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 7, 2011, 09:28 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default SSD on the way, questions about isntallatiion. (Retitled thread)

Ok, looking to evolve to a SSD for my boot drive and probably load a game on it. The question is, with so many features to try and keep track of, want to make sure a SSD is even worth it given my setup.

I have a Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 Motherboard and running Windows 7 Premium (64B). It runs SATA2 and no SATA3 or such.

What would be some good SSD's to look at, and what features should I really dwell on as well as what to stay away from.

Ok, I actually have an SSD on order from Amazon. With a lot of the posts, and AKG's help, I have an Intel 320 120GB SSD on the way. I went and grabbed the Intel Toolbox as well as IRST drivers. Any other utility I should grab?

I have went to my MB mainsite and just grabbed the latest (non-beta) drivers for my board.

So now I have the latest pre-install drivers. What exactly do I do with them?

Anything else I should know/do before I install the clean install of the OS besides witching the BIOS from IDE to ACHI?

Last edited by BVickery; November 13, 2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old August 7, 2011, 10:11 PM

My System Specs

I would suggest an Intel 320 in your case. Fast, reliable, and pretty cheap.
Old August 7, 2011, 11:19 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Intel and Crucial are the only ones I even consider anymore.

Really like my C300 and love my M4 but both are on SATA 6Gbps interface, but would still use them on SATA 2 just because of reliability. Also, rarely does a firmware upgrade mean something nasty happens.
Old August 8, 2011, 12:57 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I have the same opinion as the people above, since you're on a sata 2, go with the intel 320 or the crucial m4. stay away from any drives that have the sandforce 2281 controller, ex. corsair force 3, ocz vertex 3, patriot wildfire, kingston hyper x. they seem to be having a lot of problems on sata 3, but just to be safe, I'd stay away from them regardless. I had a force 3 120gb, and the bsods were a headache to deal with.
Old August 8, 2011, 05:21 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

There is a good reason to go with the Intel 320 or SF1200 drives: their cheap'ish and are Sata 2 drives. When you run a C300 or M4 or SF2281 etc etc on SATA 2 you lose performance as they are meant for SATA 3.

I honestly would look at the Intel 320 or older SF1200s. Both have about the same level of performance (give or take). Both are very reasonably priced.

Not saying the M4 or C300 isnt good options, they are and if you want to have some future proofing....very good options as both (and Intel 510) are very powerful, even we run on Sata 2.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 8, 2011, 06:10 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If bang for the buck is what you're after, I've gotta agree with AkG on this one. Get an I320 or SF1200.

If sheer performance is what you're after and you only have a single videocard, you might want to consider a PCIe SSD to break free of the restraints of SATA.
Old August 8, 2011, 09:47 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboToronto View Post
If bang for the buck is what you're after, I've gotta agree with AkG on this one. Get an I320 or SF1200.

If sheer performance is what you're after and you only have a single videocard, you might want to consider a PCIe SSD to break free of the restraints of SATA.
Unless you are going w/ the much more expensive Fusion-IO or Marvel (and soon Intel) then these PCIe SSD's are just two SATA SSD's w/ a bridge chip on a PCIe card. Most can't even do TRIM.
Old August 8, 2011, 10:19 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The new Revo x3 can pass the trim command. IF you have the coin...those new Revo x3's are BEASTS.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 8, 2011, 11:04 AM

My System Specs

From what I've read it can pass the TRIM command but Windows isn't capable of using TRIM on a PCIe SAS device yet. At least that is what the OCZ reps said on XS. However it can at least run a wiper or whatever tool SF drives use to clean NAND. I think their VCA is a step in the right direction, but I still want to see them w/ native PCIe devices in the future. Low queue depth reads don't come anywhere near as close to FusionIO drives yet.
Old August 8, 2011, 01:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

OCZ Advertises that the revodrive 2 does TRIM.