Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 3, 2011, 08:46 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Talking Crucial M4 128GB for $200, Review and comment

Crucial (CT128M4SSD2) 128GB SSD m4 2.5" SATA 3 Solid State Drive | Canada Computers

My result with SATA II : (again, this is with sata 2 NOT 3)

Crystal Disk Info shows drive is Good and at 100%

Came with latest 002 firmware, no issues so far.

Going to stick it in my X220 which is on the way (it has SATA III)

Results look good for SATA II ????
Old August 7, 2011, 11:27 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Dang, that is a great price...

I wonder if I should pick up another.... but I hate RAID on SSD...

Choices....

Enjoy your drive!
Old August 8, 2011, 01:29 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Do want.......
Old August 8, 2011, 01:40 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

If you like the M4 128...wait till you see what the 256GB version can do. /whistle

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 8, 2011, 01:57 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

the 256GB'er is in a whole different price bracket. I've been contemplating grabbing an Intel 320 for a couple weeks now but then this happens to pop up ha. I'm actually trying to buy one right now but their site is being slow and wonky!
Old August 8, 2011, 06:16 PM

Let me first say that I make no guarantees either way...as I have a crap ton of drives to test as is (last count I think it was 6+ in my pile right now....which is about 240 - 300 hrs of testing). BUT assuming we can get one or two SSDs. Do you think you and others would be interested in a 128GB, HWC review of the M4? What about the 320?

Do you think we are missing an entire group of readers by not focusing some attention on SATA 2 drives and smaller lower performance SATA 6 versions of the M4 controller?

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 8, 2011, 06:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Let me first say that I make no guarantees either way...as I have a crap ton of drives to test as is (last count I think it was 6+ in my pile right now....which is about 240 - 300 hrs of testing). BUT assuming we can get one or two SSDs. Do you think you and others would be interested in a 128GB, HWC review of the M4? What about the 320?

Do you think we are missing an entire group of readers by not focusing some attention on SATA 2 drives and smaller lower performance SATA 6 versions of the M4 controller?
As for the focusing some attention on sata 2 drives, I don't really think it necessary. But that said I would maybe add a quick sata 2 performance section for the sata 3 drives. Just for the people that are looking at buying a drive for their older system but plan on having it when they upgrade the rest of the system. I just think that the sata 2 drives are kind of falling to the wayside. At least those are my thoughts. So yes to the lower performance sata 3 performance and no to the straight sata 2 drives.

Old August 8, 2011, 06:44 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
As for the focusing some attention on sata 2 drives, I don't really think it necessary. But that said I would maybe add a quick sata 2 performance section for the sata 3 drives. Just for the people that are looking at buying a drive for their older system but plan on having it when they upgrade the rest of the system. I just think that the sata 2 drives are kind of falling to the wayside. At least those are my thoughts. So yes to the lower performance sata 3 performance and no to the straight sata 2 drives.
I have to agree with most of what ipaine said here, but I wouldn't go so far as to say to completely ignore the Sata 2's altogether. Iwould definitely focus on the higher end sata 3 drives, and showing their sata 2 performance.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old August 9, 2011, 09:07 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post

To be completely honest, i'm surprised, that out of ALL the ssd's out, you guys haven't done a review on either the new Crucial or Intel ssd's (the only ssd's i've ever really considered...). Not to mention all the crap going on with the Sandforce shenanigans at this point in time.... People are surely looking around for more........"quality" comparables.

With that said....yes....review them lol. And regarding the SATA II/III performance figures, while yes that would be nice to see, if it's significantly time consuming I wouldn't really bother, but if it's just a matter of plugging it into a different SATA port and re-running ATTO or whatever, then go for it!
Old August 9, 2011, 01:01 PM

Sorry to the OP for derailing your thread! Was not my intention in the least and I apologize.
I think I will make a thread and poll to hear everyone's ideas on this. Though before I do make a new thread....give it a couple keywork. A couple Marvel 9174 drive reviews are in the works. ;)