Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 31, 2011, 09:17 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD Review Comment Thread

Less than a week ago, we looked at Corsair's flagship SSD with the Force GT but while cutting edge technology is great to drool over, there's a huge market out there for a more affordable high performance solution. This is where the Force 3 series comes in since it can be found for less than $210 and can compete with some of the best drives around.

Read more here: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD Review
Old July 31, 2011, 10:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Another great review, AkG.

Although I would love to see the Force 3 240GB reviewed. I can find many reviews of the 120 like this one, but none of the 240. Although I am thinking that while Corsair does have a great warranty and customer service I might have made a mistake getting the Force 3 240. The performance is just not what I was hoping or really expecting. I was expecting it to be similar to the Vertex 3, but as seen in your reviews of the 120 it most certainly is not.

Old August 10, 2011, 02:09 PM
Trial Member

Default Great review, but questions remain

Thanks very much for the thorough and thoughtful review. Glad to have found the site.

My only concern (without purchasing one or more) is that multiple consumers are still reporting issues with this drive long after Corsair has insisted they have resolved the various problems. As a longtime Corsair customer, I've always had great experiences with them, but when a number of users on various retailers' websites are still reporting issues, Corsair's blanket assurances don't seem to be holding water. Will you be following this story, or do you feel that Corsair has indeed resolved the problems?

Thanks.
Old August 13, 2011, 06:23 AM
Rookie

I'm one of "those" customers.
I've been through 2 drives at this point, one was a 1124 model and the other was a 1128 model. Apparently everything over 1123 was suppose to be fixed, unfortunately that doesn't appear to be the case.

There's a rather lengthy thread over on the corsair forums about it.

Recently there was a new firmware released, version 1.3. Unfortunately that didn't seem to fix my issues either.

The one good thing I can say about it is that Corsair support has been pretty darn good about the whole issue.
Old August 13, 2011, 10:33 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Corsair had its own unique issues with its SATAIII drives, which included faulty hardware, in its 1123 and below versions. Thus the recall.

Every manufacturer using Sandforce controllers, however, continues to experience a different issue which Sandforce expects to resolve via firmware updates. The failure rate is acceptable enough -- or they don't have a solution for it -- so no recall for that issue.
Old August 14, 2011, 05:33 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

While this doesnt come from Corsair, OCZ has an interesting take on what is happening.

Quote:
I feel the big issue right now..for some of you...is we have no definitive answers. My post where i listed disconnects is totally relevant as some will have cable issues, not all...just some.
For some we have no way of getting them to try things for us, they just want an answer, so forced with this situation we have to advise they send the drive back...there is no other option for us at this time.

Consider though, probably well over 90% of those drives returned show no issues on test systems, I have said this over and over, we can plug a reported bad drive into another motherboard/test system and leave it within windows for 2 whole weeks and see not 1 issue...this is why its been a nightmare to tackle. If you go actually look around the net you will see reviewers are now starting to look and are finding the same issues on the marvel controller drives (510's and C400's etc) I just can not see SF's and Marvels controllers having the same issue/bug, what I can see is the common denominator they are all plugged into has the same bug, that being the motherboards.

Me&er and I work on this every day, we have found serious flaws in the sata spec, looked at chipset errata, looked at what the SF2281 controller can do, what it can't do, looked at what 510's are doing, looked at what they have disabled etc; some of what we found is seriously eye opening. We also noted Intel are releasing Orom and RST more frequently now, pre 10.5 Orom and RST were a mess, seriously bad in fact with drives dropping off way more frequently as spares never mind as OS drives.

So I see some of you picked up on my mention of hotplugging...let me explain what I think is happening. You guys are flashing the drives on systems with hotplugging enabled, this may cause the drive to be seen by the host controller as an external drive. SF drives support automatic partial to slumber, im thinking when the drive transitions from partial to slumber mode (and it can do this with an active desktop running) this causes an event on hotplugging enabled desktops that causes the host to think the drive has been disconnected, so it stops responding to it...it actually thinks its not even connected. The system continues to run within system ram, and then BSOD's with a 04F error...which is a drive disconnect.

Now some AMD systems are doing this, BUT we know its not the same bug, so we are thinking this could be the odd bad drive or a bad cable but end users just see it as the same bug...trust me it is not.

So we have now started testing with hotplugging disabled, im not going to come on the forum and tell you its a fix till we know it totally is, no more beta testing by end users here, but i will tell you what im up to. if you want to join in and test by all means you can, also if enough interest is shown I will create a new thread where we can discuss it under a technical discussion heading...it will not be be a support thread.

Last... i know some of you guys feel you should just see a firmware fix for this, I am going to be totally honest i do not think that will happen, I think the ultimate fix will come with a FW coupled with Orom change and new RST/IME driver and possibly UEFI update for the motherboards, the issue needs to be nailed down, at this time its floating around with Orom changes etc and what ever SF do can be countered by what the Orom is doing...and yes SF are talking to Intel so i would hope between them they can get it worked out.
Taken from Where we are with Vertex3/Agility3/Solid3 drives.

Food for thought as it is NOT just a SandForce issue. Its just that more SF drives are being sold (in total) than anyone else, and SF drives seem to be more sensitive to certain issues than others.

All I personally can say is that I have not experienced this issue first hand. It is probably going to occur in one of my builds and the very first thing I plan on doing (after replacing the cables)...is yanking the mobo and replacing it with a different one. This is not feasible for most people, but its the best "solution" that I can find. You can try different ports, different cables (SHORTER the better), turn of hotplugging, try different drivers, etc. In some cases that will fix it. In others it will not. Motherboard change almost invariably DOES fix it for most.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; August 14, 2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old October 20, 2011, 03:43 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I have been wanting a good ssd to run on my marvell controller (AR3E mobo) for a while now, and am very impressed with this series by corsair but its sounding like they don't go well with marvell. Is that cause it is using a sanforce or will all these problems be resolved by corsair? I'm now deciding between the force 3 and Crusial m4's. What are the problems really and is it just with the marvell controllers?
Old October 20, 2011, 04:53 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The issue is your motherboard's Marvel sata 6gb/s controller wont pass on the trim command. I do not recommend any SF2281 drive for non-trim environments. It can be done but it takes more TLC than most consumers are willing to do. This applies to all SF2281 based SSDs and not just the Force 3. This issue will not be fixed via firmware as it has to do with how SandForce drives work (ie SandForces philosophy as a company).

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr