Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 27, 2011, 12:24 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Need help finding a SSD with a 7mm height

First off new to the forums, read it every now and then. But this time I need some help.
So hey everyone!

Ok so, I have a Lenovo e420s, and the Notebook will only accept drives with a 7mm height. I am having a really hard time finding a drive that will fit this spec. ( I also have a friend with a Thinkpad X1 w/ the same issue)

I am looking for something in the 128GB range ,So far these are the to models I can find that exist on paper.

Micron SSD - MTFDDAK128MAM-1J1 (can only find bulk prices and seems a little high in price)
Intel SSD - SSDSA2BW120G301 (I cannot find this part in stock in any store)

If anyone has any information or recommendations it would be greatly appreciated. There seems to be ways to modify some of the drives but I am trying not to void any warranties on the drive.
Old July 27, 2011, 02:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

X-25M, X-25V etc, all the intel SSDs with the plastic bevel, can be removed and are now 7mm thick.
Old July 27, 2011, 02:01 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I think the 1.8 inch ssd will fit, but you need to check the dimensions to make sure. I am watching for the price drop of the Kingston SSDNOW V+ 180 for my Sony TT laptop. I know it fits because some users have put it into their Sony TT laptop.

Newegg.ca - Computer Hardware, Hard Drives, SSD, SSD,1.8

The 2.5 inch ssd's have a regular sata connector and 5v power, while the 1.8 inch have micro-sata connector which has 3.3v. You need to make sure which connector you have in Lenovo.

Last edited by Chris; July 27, 2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old July 27, 2011, 04:57 PM
Trial Member

Default I also need help with this

Is it smarter to wait? Do you forsee these disks becoming the 'norm' or is my 'no compromise' Lenovo x1 actually going to have to compromise?
Old July 27, 2011, 10:03 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

The Drive currently in my system is a 2.5" 250GB Hitachi 7mm thick drive, I believe that this uses the standard 2.5" Sata connectors. As for removing the spacer on the Intel drives, I hear that this will void the warranty and that you will require shorter screws for the drive if you do remove it.

Any insights, I really don't want to void the warranty in light of all the issues I've seen people have with SSDs in general.
Old July 28, 2011, 04:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

We ran into this at work with a Lenovo. The only SSD's I could find that would fit were the Intels and only the X-25 series, not the newer 320 or 510. Needless to say this has caused Lenovo to lose serious points with me on whether or not I recommend them to people at work.

So from my understanding you are pretty much stuck with the older Intels. At least from any I could find.

Old July 28, 2011, 07:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That plastic bracket is put on the SSD for that exact reason, so it'll fit in 7mm enclosers. It won't void your warranty.
Old July 28, 2011, 07:32 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks for all the input, I ended up getting a Intel 320 120GB Drive, removed the spacer put some new screws in and it fit like a glove :)

Tags
ssd 7mm lenovo