Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 19, 2011, 07:20 PM
Top Prospect

Default Help please! Corsair force 3 120gb crashing

Hello all, I bought a corsair force 3 a few weeks ago and it's crashing on me.

Computer ran fine for 2-3 years and never crashed on me.

Specs:
Q6600
P5Q PRO
4gb Corsair ram
gtx460 (new, but caused no problem for 6 months)
AX850 (new, but caused no problem for 6 months)

I'm running a fresh install of windows 7 professional, I installed the newest nvidia graphics driver, chipset driver, audio driver

did the SSD tweaks to lengthen the SSD's life.
Solid State Drive (SSD) Tweaks for Windows 7 - Computing.Net

I have steam installed with one game, League of legends, firefox, msn and that's about it.

The crashes go like this
1) On youtube: firefox stops responding, but audio keeps on going. Parts of the computer works, but not show desktop and task manager. The screen goes black after ~30 seconds.
2) On league of legends: My cursor "slows" down. It hangs for 0.2 sec, 0.5, 0.6, 0.7, and just slows down until it completely stops. The game freezes and the audio loops.
3) BSOD a few times.

What should I do???

Sorry: could a mod move this to troubleshooting.
Attached Images

Old July 19, 2011, 07:59 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

My GUESS is by disabling page file you have set yourself up for failure. Pagefile is handy if you only have 4GB of RAM...as soon as your ram is all used....it goes pooof as there is no pagefile to cache too. I have 16GB of ram...and still use a pagefile..that is occasionally used by the OS. Its better to hard set it to a small size than disable. ;)

BUT thats only a guess. If you want to make sure it is something YOU did...I would nuke the OS, run it virgin without ANY tweaks and see if it does it still. If it still does it, then its most likely hardware or drivers. But remove the simple things first...and the tweaks is the simplest to troubleshoot.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 19, 2011, 08:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

One thing you should take a look at is your access time. Run something like HD tune or AS-SSD and take a look at your access time. I am just in the process of RMAing a Force 3 240GB and one thing that I noticed when trying to test it was that the access time was way off what it should be for a SSD. The write access times were fine but the reads were .3ms instead of what should be .05-.1ms. Then you could also get IOmeter and set it up just like Corsair did and see what kind of IOPS you get. You can find that information here. I know I set it up just like them and while they got 85K I only get 37K.

Of course you should also move it to a different port and try a different cable, just to be sure.

Old July 19, 2011, 09:10 PM
Top Prospect

AkG: On my first install the only SSD related tweaks I did was to check if trim was enabled. Only on my 2nd install of windows I decided to do more of the tweaks. But that sounds like a good idea if it keeps on crashing I will format again and leave it virgin.

ipaine: I will work on that thanks
Old July 19, 2011, 10:50 PM
Top Prospect

Ok.. I'm ashamed to say this, but I just found a super PEBKAC.. The sata cable was plugged on the RAID slot. Do you guys think it's necessary to reinstall the OS on the correct SATA port or is it fine if I just swap it back to the non-RAID one?

I swapped it and HD-tune is now showing pretty good speeds, but is it normal that it fluctuates so much though?
Attached Images

Last edited by tabasko; July 19, 2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old July 24, 2011, 12:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You might want to check out the corsair forums here if you haven't already.

Solid State Drives (SSD) - The Corsair Support Forums

Old August 6, 2011, 01:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just letting people know that there is now a firmware update for the Corsair Force 3 and Force GT drives.

Force Series 3 and Force GT Firmware Update Ver 1.3 - The Corsair Support Forums

Old August 6, 2011, 01:33 PM
Banned
F@H

so is it working good or not?

i wouldve loaded a live cd and see if there were crashes,maybe replaced sata cable/port s

or used another drive.