Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 17, 2011, 04:14 PM
Top Prospect

Default Need help picking drives for new High Capacity RAID 5 array

Hi,

My current file server uses 5x500GB WD Caviar Black drives in a RAID5 array on a Dell CERC 6 port RAID adapter. It has been running 24/7 without a single issue or failure, which is absolutely necessary because I don't have time to be fixing storage servers in my spare time.

Since my storage needs have recently increased (wife's data) I'd like to move to something in the range of a 6TB array. I have a new RAID card ready to support larger than 4TB arrays, but it is limited to 4 ports.

I was looking at the amazing deals on the WD 2TB Greens recently, but there are a lot of accounts of them dropping out of arrays due to the eco-friendly spindown. This is not an option.

If I go with the 2TB blacks, do I have to worry about any spindowns or issues? What about some enterprise-class SATA drives like the old Samsung Spinpoints?

I am looking for some new ideas and best direction to achieve 6TB array. Thanks!
Old July 17, 2011, 04:18 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I also have a 6TB array using 4 hard drives. They are Hitachi Deskstar 2TB hard drives and they seem to do the job as well. I was considering WD Greens but I also read that they drop because of the discs spinning down. I went with the Hitachis because they were cheaper than WD Enterprise discs and run at 7200 rpm. Just remember RAID is not a backup solution!
Old July 17, 2011, 09:42 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

i have 1 TB Seagate .12's in my RAID 5. If i were to build mine all over again i'd use WD blacks or WD enterprise SATA tho.
Old July 17, 2011, 09:51 PM
Banned
F@H

well for the wd greens you have to take care of the parking thing but after that theyre good.
im talking about the cheap greens,not enterprise or anything.
Old July 17, 2011, 10:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have a couple 2TB Deskstars and love them, i don't believe they spindown, and if they do i haven't noticed it. Havent had any problems with them, and they always go on sale for around $60-65.
Old July 18, 2011, 09:16 AM
Top Prospect

OK, that's more than a few people that have recommended those Hitachis. Once I have migrated everything over to the new array I will likely build a second array of ~3TB (no redundancy) for archived backups.

Thanks for the inputs.

Can someone please point out some specific model numbers for the Hitachi?
Old July 18, 2011, 09:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

For the record, I have 4x2TB WD Greens in RAID5 with no issue whatsoever, you just have to make sure to adjust the park times properly.

but even before hand,with the park tiimes are default none of the drives dropped out, they just took a while to spin up again, causing access lag.
Old July 18, 2011, 09:51 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
For the record, I have 4x2TB WD Greens in RAID5 with no issue whatsoever, you just have to make sure to adjust the park times properly.

but even before hand,with the park tiimes are default none of the drives dropped out, they just took a while to spin up again, causing access lag.
You must be using software raid under Windows though right?
Old July 18, 2011, 10:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by attonbitusira View Post
OK, that's more than a few people that have recommended those Hitachis. Once I have migrated everything over to the new array I will likely build a second array of ~3TB (no redundancy) for archived backups.

Thanks for the inputs.

Can someone please point out some specific model numbers for the Hitachi?

thats mine
Old July 18, 2011, 10:51 AM

My System Specs

Personally I'd just go w/ whatever drive is cheapest.