Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 16, 2011, 09:11 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Corsair F120 vs Intel 320 SSD

I'm planning on getting an SSD this week, and I'm torn between the corsair f120 and the intel 320 (120 GB). I can get a refurb f120 for $1/Gb ($138 shipped) or the intel 320 for $190 shipped. This is my first SSD and I plan on putting the SSD behind my ICH10R so I can get the benefits of TRIM.

Which one would you pick, and why?
Old July 16, 2011, 05:44 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Well for one, users of Intel 320 are having issues (Intel Acknowledges '8MB Bug' on Intel SSD 320 Series Drives - Backup Your Data Now! - Legit Reviews) with it, while the F120 is a proven product. So at this moment Corsair's F120 is the way to go. However, you could wait for Intel to come up with a firmware fix, as Intel has a better history of product reliablity.
Old July 16, 2011, 08:37 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for the heads up EmptyMellon. Hopefully a firmware fix will fix em. Anyone else have any other opinions? I forgot to mention that the f120 is refurbished. Not sure if that will really affect things. Still seems like a steal to me at $1/gb, but the intel has better performance at a decent price...
Old July 17, 2011, 04:57 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Refurb vs New? IF you can afford it...buy new. Refurbs rarely come with the original warranty (some are only 90 days..or LESS, with 30 being VERY common). This is something you have to look CLOSELY at (as that works out to be about only 10 bucks a year extra for the Intel warranty!) Even if by some miracle that F120 does come with the full 3 year...its still shorter than Intel's five.
Both have very good CS, so if you have to RMA you are dealing with great companies.
Both have very good performance, but both are not top-tier drives. They are mid-tier drives now.
Both the 320s and SF gen 1s are some of the best bang for your buck on sata rev 2 systems.
Both will serve you very well in a TRIM environment. IF money is tight, then yeah I can see the refurb being a decent choice, otherwise I would spend the couple bucks extra for new.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 17, 2011, 03:47 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

AkG I kinda have the same question and I know its been asked a 100 times but I'm not overly concerned about brand just the best SSD I can currently get. I would like something with toolbox type software(maybe they all do, I dunno)Right now I'm still using Sata 2 but chances are I'll be upgrading in the next few months anyway. What would you recommend?