Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 13, 2011, 06:40 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default installing/running games on a micro sdhc card

this might be a stupid question but can these little cards be used like regular hard drives albeit slower loading? my libretto came with a 64gb ssd and only has a micro sdhc slot. i've got some cheap 4gb class 4 card on the way but if these things can be used like any other drives i may purchase a class 10 32-64gb.
Old July 13, 2011, 06:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yes they can
Old July 13, 2011, 07:01 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
yes they can

awesome, i have never heard of people doing so. i'm assuming there real slow but good to know, thanks.

probably gonna get one of the patriot class 10's for mem express, 36 bucks for 32 gb
Old July 13, 2011, 07:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You are aware that Class 10 only have a max read and write speed of 10MB/s which is rather slow and could cause your games to take quite a bit of time to install, to load itself, to load levels, and to save.

I'd only really recommend using them if you need the extra storage for say music, pictures and potentially movies
Old July 13, 2011, 07:06 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
They can however you need to be careful with what ones you buy as each "class" of them has different read/write speeds which can greatly effect how fast/long it'll take to load a game/level and how fast/slow you can save to it

got some no name 4gb class 4 being off ebay last night, it was like 7 bucks. Might just throw it in my old mp3 player. Now that i know they can be used like any other drive i'm itching to get a class ten card, hopefully that will be fast enough
Old July 13, 2011, 07:09 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
You are aware that Class 10 only have a max read and write speed of 10MB/s which is rather slow and could cause your games to take quite a bit of time to install, to load itself, to load levels, and to save.

I'd only really recommend using them if you need the extra storage for say music, pictures and potentially movies

is there faster than class 10? the games i will be installing will be older, i've got the urge to play stronghold and diablo on a little touch screen(maybe a few games a little newer), i would hope it wouldnt be too bad
Old July 13, 2011, 07:17 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Here's the current x rating table from wikipedia. The faster class micro sd cards start to get rather expensive so it may/may not be fessible for you

Old July 13, 2011, 07:46 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Here's the current x rating table from wikipedia. The faster class micro sd cards start to get rather expensive so it may/may not be fessible for you

WOAH, class 90...and here i thought class ten was the highest cause thats all i could find. i'm curious who sells these faster cards and how much they cost
Old July 13, 2011, 10:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

..just buy a new hard drive?
Old July 13, 2011, 04:11 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
..just buy a new hard drive?
could be an option when ssd's with big storage capacity are cheap, right now i dont think it would be worth it specially when i dont even have an install cd for my os .