Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 7, 2011, 08:37 AM
Rookie

Default Best raid0 configuration for gaming

I'm finishing my build and I'm now wondering what is the best configuration for my gaming drive.

here's some important parts of my build to give you an idea:
intel i7 2600k
Asus sabertooth p67
8gb of G Skill sniper 1866
Crucial m4 128gb
Zotac GTX 580

I have 3 WD green drives (WD20EARS) at my disposal I want to use them to install games that wont be installed on my ssd. What is the best raid0 configuration for gaming?

I read that acces time were increased when you add drives to your raid0 configuration. Is the read/write speed more important than acces time when gaming?

I guess load times are sequential read so 3 drives would be faster than 2 drives... but loading textures might be more affected by acces times so 2 drives would be better than 3?

I need help on this one... what characteristic is more importnant for gaming?

thanks
Old July 7, 2011, 09:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

Greens in RAID for gaming? Greens are more meant for storage than anything.
Old July 7, 2011, 09:16 AM
Rookie

I got the 3 drive for 50$ total because of a local computer shop closing...

My OS is on my ssd, but I won't be able to install all my games on my SSD. Most of the interaction with a game is done with the gpu, cpu and ram except when the data is loaded from the hdd to the ram or video memory.

I don't think it would be wise to spend 200$ or more on caviar black hdds: the acces time are like 8% ms quciker and the sequential speed about 20% faster. With a 3x raid0 configuration i would have around 250% of the sequential speed but get acces times around 40% slower.
Old July 7, 2011, 10:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

I raided my two spare 1 TB greens...

I'm not sure of the answer, but I assume most of any game's textures and etc. are mostly preloaded or loaded in chunks into the RAM anyways, so raiding them would work better. I have nothing to compare my raided drives to, so I can't say if it's faster or not. Definitely slower then an SSD though.

make sure to grab WDidle and adjust the park time to 5 minutes for the greens though.
Old July 7, 2011, 11:31 AM
Rookie

thanks for the advice for the park time.

I guess I'll try it myself, Ill install a game on SSD, RAID0 HHDs and stand alone HDD and see what difference it makes.
Old July 7, 2011, 02:42 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Good idea, do a bunch of testing and then post here again
Old July 7, 2011, 08:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

I'd definitely be interested in your results! Maybe I can compare with some RAIDed times of my own, with similar games.

Tags
gaming , green , raid0 , western digital