Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   Best bang for the buck 120gb or 128gb ssd (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/44614-best-bang-buck-120gb-128gb-ssd.html)

bigFOIG July 1, 2011 03:09 AM

Best bang for the buck 120gb or 128gb ssd

I'm thinking about getting my first SSD and I need some help. Does anyone have recommendations on which 120gb or 128gb ssd to get? Or which ones I should avoid. It must be SATA III, and hopefully around 200 bucks. Thanks.

ad5ter July 1, 2011 07:41 AM

If you go to my thread below:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...9-ssd-get.html

I pretty much asked the same question. I've done a bunch of research and reading and AKG's advice is solid. Intel's 510, Crucial M4, and Corsair Performance 3 are all SATA III. I'm going to throw OCZ's Vertex 3 in the mix even though I was a bit weary about it with its mixed reviews but if you read the reviews for the other listed brands (on newegg.ca), everyone of them seem to have at least one instance of a drive dying. Seems OCZ just got hit the hardest with poor customer service.

I'd rule out Crucial M4 because it doesn't include 3.5' bracket to mount inside a desktop, so that will be an additional cost. Intel and Corsair have generally the same price range (both have MiR). It seems the cheapest right out of the gate is the Vertex 3 on newegg.ca @ 269.99 no rebate.

Its a toss up for me, but if you're not looking to spend more than 200, you may have to reduce your SSD size or go down to SATA II?

That's my two cents at least

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigFOIG (Post 529351)
I'm thinking about getting my first SSD and I need some help. Does anyone have recommendations on which 120gb or 128gb ssd to get? Or which ones I should avoid. It must be SATA III, and hopefully around 200 bucks. Thanks.

lowfat July 1, 2011 10:08 AM

OCZ Vertex 2 E Series 2.5in SATA II Solid State Drive, 120GB at Memory Express Computers if you don't mind an MIR.

Sure it isn't SATA 6Gbps. But the difference in noticeable performance between it and newer drives is going to be extremely small.

JD July 1, 2011 12:08 PM

I'd probably get this: NCIX.com - Buy Corsair Force 3 Series 120GB 2.5IN SATA3 6GB/S Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD Sandforce SF-2200 - Corsair - CSSD-F120GB3-BK - in Canada

Assuming you can grab it for $200 before the sale runs out of stock.

ad5ter July 2, 2011 10:07 AM

OCZ Vertex 3 120gig on sale now till Monday 199 with MiR!. I picked myself up one.

NCIX.com - Buy OCZ Vertex 3 120GB 2.5IN SATA3 6Gbps Sandforce SF-2281 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD - OCZ Technology - VTX3-25SAT3-120G - in Canada

Caldezar July 2, 2011 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD (Post 529427)

Is the Force Series 3 still having firmware troubles with the drives failing after an hour of use though?

EmptyMellon July 2, 2011 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caldezar (Post 529663)
Is the Force Series 3 still having firmware troubles with the drives failing after an hour of use though?

Nope. Corsair did their recall; so in theory, all the new Force 3s should be problem free. Though now they are comming out with Force 3 GT, so that should improve the mix. Hopefully AkG will be doing a review soon - compairing the two.

bigFOIG July 5, 2011 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ad5ter (Post 529644)

Just picked one up from memoryexpress. I priced matched with NCIX and the sales representative told me that the MIR was NCIX exclusive, so he will just sell me the drive for 199.99, instead of 229.99. And then after I bought it, the manager came over and told the sales guy that the MIR is actually not NCIX exclusive, and the MIR will actually be accepted from MemoryExpress purchases as well.

Long story short, I got a 120GB Vertex 3 for $170 plus tax! Woooooooo!

kongfoo911 July 5, 2011 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigFOIG (Post 530301)
Just picked one up from memoryexpress. I priced matched with NCIX and the sales representative told me that the MIR was NCIX exclusive, so he will just sell me the drive for 199.99, instead of 229.99. And then after I bought it, the manager came over and told the sales guy that the MIR is actually not NCIX exclusive, and the MIR will actually be accepted from MemoryExpress purchases as well.

Haha..gratz

lowfat July 5, 2011 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigFOIG (Post 530301)

Wowza! http://smiliesftw.com/x/bowcool_1.gif