Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 18, 2011, 06:27 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the info, AkG :) I didn't know about this when I bought my second F60 for RAID0. But for my next build, I'll definitely keep this in mind!!!

With a single F60, ATTO showed max read speed of ~260Mb/s and max write speed of ~230Mb/s (Somehow I never got the advertised 285Mb/s max read and 275Mb/s max write.....)

With 2 of them in RAID0, I'm getting ~520Mb/s max read and ~450Mb/s max write.
Old July 18, 2011, 06:43 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

For your next upgrade pay close attention to the 4K write speed in AS-SSD and CDM...AND the latency in AS-SSD of a drive you are looking to buy. This is the two critical areas for a SSD in an OS enviro. 4k will go up in raid 0 but latency takes a nose dive (ie the latency goes way, way UP as the raid introduces overhead to every operation).
This doesn't matter for game load times as that is a sequential read operation, but for most other things...it matters...a lot.

Food for thought if nothing else. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; July 18, 2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old July 18, 2011, 06:55 PM
Rookie

Thanks AkG for the valuable info :)
Old July 19, 2011, 02:40 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
For your next upgrade pay close attention to the 4K write speed in AS-SSD and CDM...AND the latency in AS-SSD of a drive you are looking to buy. This is the two critical areas for a SSD in an OS enviro. 4k will go up in raid 0 but latency takes a nose dive (ie the latency goes way, way UP as the raid introduces overhead to every operation).
This doesn't matter for game load times as that is a sequential read operation, but for most other things...it matters...a lot.

Food for thought if nothing else. :)

Just tested my drives with AS-SSD....

Comparing 2 x F60 in RAID0 to 1 x F60:
1) Seq read & write speed pretty much doubled.
2) 4k read and write speed improved by only about 50%.
3) Increased acc time.....
Old July 23, 2011, 09:44 AM
Rookie

What about these models:
OCZ RevoDrive 3 120GB/240GB
OCZ IBIS 100GB
Old July 23, 2011, 12:00 PM

They are basically all in one raid solutions in a single form factor. Revo is a PCI-E x4 card form factor, ibis is a 3.5" hdd form factor which connects to a special pice controller board (thats only x1 and thus the limiting factor in speeds). Easiest way to think of the ibis is as the successor to the colossus which came out back when indilinx was king.

The only issue with them is (IIRC) you dont get TRIM, but you do get two to four SF gen 2 controllers paired to a raid controller. VERY, very good if you need massive sequential file performance. Decent to very good 4k numbers, but you need to let them idle from time to time to let "BGC" / "ITGC" kick in and work its magic. Luckily with four controllers they do cover a lot of NAND in shorted period of time...and do mask the degraded state SF's can get into when not in a TRIM environment very well.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 23, 2011, 03:13 PM
Rookie

I was looking at those 3 models for windows and gaming. What are your thoughts as I'm in the $300 to 600 price range. I'd only pay above $300 if there was really a huge improvement in performance. I don't want to go below 120GB as I play MMOGs and they take up a lot of space. From the reviews I looked at the Revo and IBIS SSDs seem to do the best overall in every test.

Also a friend told me u get more FPS with SSDs, which I find hard to believe. The only thing I've heard SSDs help with is game load times. If they really did help with FPS u would see an FPS test when SSDs were reviewed.
Old July 23, 2011, 04:53 PM

Bingo, load times is all they help with. Your friend is incorrect.

Honestly, if you are going from a HDD to a SSD you will see a noticeable improvement overall. In games, it depends on the game and how big the data chunk it has to load is. It will net improved load time performance, but there does come a point where you probably wont notice much difference between X ssd and Y ssd.

For first time users, its hard to say "spend 6 bills". For most of my customers who are taking their first dip into the SSD pool, i usually spec out a mid-tier drive. Take your 6 bill budget, cut out 250 for a SSD...and stick the rest towards a GPU upgrade. THAT combination will net you the best gaming performance increase. ;)

For 220-230 you can (basically) pick up a mid-tier ONFi 1.0 NAND SF2281 drive, like the Force 3 120GB from Corsair or Agility 3. OR a Onfi 2 NAND, Corsair Performance 3 128GB (M4 based SSD....very good. Perf 3/ M4/ 510 are first pick for non-trim environments). BUT I dont know you system specs so its hard to say what would be the "best". I wouldnt go SATA 6GB/s SSDs unless its via AMD 8x SouthBridge (or later) or Intel ICH 10 or later. If you dont have sata 6 unless its via a Marvel controller chip....the Intel 320 is another decent choice....but then I would seriously start looking at the Revo's and Ibis as they dont go through it. ;)

Old July 24, 2011, 11:26 AM
Rookie

This will be my new system, what would u suggest?