Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 28, 2011, 08:46 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default OCZ Vertex 3 240GB Update: Retail vs Review Sample Comment Thread

SSD firmware updates. We've all heard about them but is there any tangible benefit to actually upgrading your SSD with the latest firmware? In this article we take a look at two identical Vertex 3 drives; one of which is a pre-retail sample with beta firmware while the other is a retail version sporting the latest firmware. The final results between the two are interesting to say the least...

[ Read full article ]
Old June 28, 2011, 09:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nice to see what kind of a difference firmware can make. That sure is a beast of a drive, but I would love to see it go up against the Patroit Wildfire 240GB and the Corsair Force 3 240GB. Really they should all be about the same in most aspects but it would be nice to see. Any chance of seeing either of those drives? Those should be the top drives (well aside from max IOPS and GT versions oh and the Revo 3).

Old June 29, 2011, 05:30 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Expect to see both those drives in the coming weeks. Both Patriot and Corsair have updated their firmware between the original review samples sent out a little while ago (to Anandtech et all) and retail. We should be receiving full retail drives.
Old June 29, 2011, 08:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That is what I was hoping to hear. It sure seems like it has been a somewhat rocky start to this newer generation of sandforce drives.