Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 22, 2011, 09:02 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default 4th OCZ Vertex dead...

I have had 4 of them crap out on me and truly sick of them. Nothing like a 3 week wait for replacement too.

I think I am gonna toss them just because I am sick of waiting for them to die. Also dont want to wish failure town on some sucker that buys them.

Anyone wanting stability just avoid OCZ 1.6 firmware and these drives in general.
Old June 22, 2011, 10:56 PM
Restricted Poster

Lulz, I've boycotted OCZ for all my builds after their horrendous service after the 2.06 firmware update. Nothing makes me happier than a $600 brick. Luckily they're getting that dead one back (friends at stores rock).

Sell it and get an Intel SSD. May not be the fastest, but they know how to make a reliable SSD. Or Corsair, just as fast as OCZ drives but none of the bullcrap.
Old June 23, 2011, 02:36 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Just had my replacement Vertex 2 60GB die on me -- six weeks after it arrived. Well, at least I'm getting good at getting the OS image back up quickly...
Old June 23, 2011, 05:25 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

hehe my 10 month old agility when bad on me too... still in the process of rma'ing it.

My Boinc Stats
Old June 23, 2011, 05:31 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Wow....I'd love to hear more stories about OCZ drives if possible.
Old June 23, 2011, 06:20 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

My Gen 1 Vertex 120GB died. However, the RMA was insanely quick....got it back less than 48 hours later (a brand new one). probably helps that the depot is 45 min drive away, but no complaints.
Fold for team #54196
Old June 23, 2011, 06:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctech View Post
Lulz, I've boycotted OCZ for all my builds after their horrendous service after the 2.06 firmware update. Nothing makes me happier than a $600 brick. Luckily they're getting that dead one back (friends at stores rock).

Sell it and get an Intel SSD. May not be the fastest, but they know how to make a reliable SSD. Or Corsair, just as fast as OCZ drives but none of the bullcrap.
FYI Corsair had issues with their Force 3 drives, but they were recalled immediately after they discovered the problem.

Not intended to troll, but TBH the service issue you had with OCZ isn't really OCZ's fault now is it? I don't know how you can expect support for a piece of hardware that clearly has a voided warranty.
Support Question Vertex 3 2.06 Update Killed SSD, Red LED on, Sandforce{200026BB}

OCZ is an enthusiast company, but the line has to be drawn somewhere. Keep in mind, they did release the Vertex Turbo firmware to users. Maybe Sandforce doesn't want users to have access to these tools in the event users want to crossflash firmwares across different brands?

Do you see Linksys/CISCO offering users support for people who brick their routers due to a bad Tomato or DD-WRT flash?

Sometimes you get lucky with a company willing to bend the rules a bit (Apple replacing devices that are just days out of warranty, for example), but rules are set in place for a reason.

For reliability reasons, I've mainly stuck with Intel. My first SSDs were Patriot Warp v2's, then Intel (I've had two X25-M G2's fail on me inexplicably, out of a total of maybe 7-8 drives), and now an OCZ Vertex 3 120GB.
I've had good experience with OCZ RAM RMA's (talk about a TLA mouthful), and with Sandforce maturing, I took a bit of a gamble and I ended up liking the V3 more than I expected.
Old June 23, 2011, 09:35 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoob View Post
Not intended to troll, but TBH the service issue you had with OCZ isn't really OCZ's fault now is it? I don't know how you can expect support for a piece of hardware that clearly has a voided warranty.
Support Question Vertex 3 2.06 Update Killed SSD, Red LED on, Sandforce{200026BB}
Wow, how did you snipe that out?

But still, it doesn't surprise me that on a "hardware enthusiast" forum that people would have SSDs die a little more often (or, you know, at all) than the average users. We're looking at the vocal minority. Stuff dies.

And Ctech, you were being an asshole to them then expected them to wipe your ass for you. No wonder they wouldn't help you.

Edit: Wait a second.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...vertex-3s.html

Ctech, those drives wouldn't happen to be the ones in your BST thread would they?

Last edited by Jebusman; June 23, 2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old June 23, 2011, 10:34 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I have had a 1st gen Vertex 120GB and 30GB die on me. The 30GB was fixable using the new "turbo" firmware from home but the 120GB was RMAed. I have a 120 GB agility, 60GB agility and 160 intel all going strong.
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770K (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old June 23, 2011, 11:06 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The notorious 2.06 firmware was an across the board issue. ALL sf gen 2's had this firmware, not just OCZ branded ones. Some peeps had problems. It was Sandforce's firmware and Sandforce's problem. NO ONE gets to do custom firmware with SF. They ALL come from SF. SF dragged their arse on fixing it. This and reasons like it are most likely why OCZ purchased Indilinix. OCZ's latest is 2.08. If you are STILL running 2.06...update it NOW.

I have had all companies SSD's die on me. I have had good SSDs from them all. Intel, Corsair and OCZ are the ones I reach for first as they treat their customers right...unless you are a total arsehole...then you deserve whatever service you get. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by SKYMTL; June 28, 2011 at 08:16 PM.