Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 27, 2011, 11:54 PM
Rookie

I'm by no means an expert on SSD's, but it was my impression the reliability of Intel came from the report on a french hardware site citing Intel had the smallest ratio of returned SSD units at under 1% while the other SSD companies sat at around 2-3%. Granted, that report is over a year old now.

Quote:
They're good drives, no question. But it's like a bomb: really powerful, but if you mess with it, it'll blow up in your face.
This analogy seems to sum up the OCZ drives pretty well, from what I've heard.

EDIT: The report and a small write-up are covered at the start of this page, for those who may have missed it:

AnandTech - The Intel SSD 510 Review
Old June 28, 2011, 07:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My Vertex 1 indilinx Barefoot-based 120GB FW1.5 (bought in March 2010) is still going strong....crossing fingers.
Hopefully it will last me another year...it's fast enough for all my needs. By the time it craps out on me, even faster drives might come out!

I'm a little curious about future Indilinx offerings, now that OCZ bought them...
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old July 15, 2011, 05:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Vertex 1, Indilinx based, 30GB. Boot drive under Win 7, no possibility for TRIM.
Attached Images

Old July 15, 2011, 07:19 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

a little off topic, how accurate is ssdlife? Heres mine.. altho its a kingston 64gb

Old July 15, 2011, 08:16 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
Vertex 1, Indilinx based, 30GB. Boot drive under Win 7, no possibility for TRIM.
Why no possibility for TRIM?
Old July 15, 2011, 09:25 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubaka View Post
a little off topic, how accurate is ssdlife? Heres mine.. altho its a kingston 64gb

so far,as much as i dont trust these things,pretty good.
save for a new unsupported drive or something.
Old July 16, 2011, 06:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

from the discussions on other thread, I understood that my platform, a nFrce 740 SLI, does not support trim, feature that is specific for Intel ICH9R or higher or AMD 8 series or higher southbridge. Anyway I posted the screenshot at _dangtx_'s request
Old July 16, 2011, 07:19 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yup, no trim for you...sorry.

As to the other question on how accurate this program is...not very. Much like SMART can SOMETIMES predict when a HDD is going to go south...but they usually just up and die on you the same thing usually happens with SSD's. This program should be considered a BEST CASE scenario which assumes that the NAND is what is going to die first and that all the NAND blocks are going to last the same amount of time....AND that the write amplification is not variable (my guess it uses a write amp of 1.0 for its guess). This not the case with ANY ssd I can think of off hand. It varies from .6 (SF) to 8+ (indilinx). It also probably doesnt take into consideration over-provesioning...which will extend the life of the SSD.

More to the point (and ignoring all the probs with guessing life span on NAND usage), the controller and / or ram chip is just as if not more likely to shuffle on to buffalo on ya. This program can not predict this. The only thing it can do is tell you how hard a SSD is being used. This is good info when you go to buy used as all things being equal a gently used SSD showing 100% > one showing 58%!

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr