Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 24, 2011, 06:17 AM
Restricted Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebusman View Post
Wow, how did you snipe that out?

But still, it doesn't surprise me that on a "hardware enthusiast" forum that people would have SSDs die a little more often (or, you know, at all) than the average users. We're looking at the vocal minority. Stuff dies.

And Ctech, you were being an asshole to them then expected them to wipe your ass for you. No wonder they wouldn't help you.

Edit: Wait a second.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...vertex-3s.html

Ctech, those drives wouldn't happen to be the ones in your BST thread would they?
Hey, don't bash what you don't know. That's what friends are for! I got my buddy at CanadaComputers to give me another drive, and he's giving the dead one back to OCZ (if you actually took the time to read my thread and not just one word, you'd see I said it's not for sale until I get it working). Anyways, that's a sidetrack.

We don't hear as many people complain Intel SSDs die. That's why I'd recommend them over OCZ. Have you seen CanadaComputers' stock of Vertex 3s? It's nearly gone, and it's not a special order or EOL item, they've been doing a lot of exchanges for dead drives.

They're good drives, no question. But it's like a bomb: really powerful, but if you mess with it, it'll blow up in your face. No question the Intel drives are slower than OCZ, but much more reliable.
Old June 24, 2011, 07:46 AM
MVP

My System Specs

TBH everyone I know with any OCZ drive hasn't had a single problem with them. I don't question that an abnormally large amount of these drives die for some people, but in my own personal experience, in contrast to yours apparently, I've never see one die.

I will admit the whole "panic lock/panic mode/engineering mode" thing is ******* ridiculous.

Edit: And after looking it up too I see a lot more places blaming the SF-2200 controller as opposed to OCZ. Are there any other consumer SSDs even using the SF-2xxx series right now?

Edit2: Oh look at that, the Corsair Force 3 series uses SF-2xxx controllers, and they're having fucktons of problems as well. At least Corsair admitted it. Still doesn't make it OCZ's fault that the drive sucked. Just that OCZ won't admit it.

Last edited by Jebusman; June 24, 2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old June 24, 2011, 09:30 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I've killed two Drives now, but I think they had it comming anyways.

Its threads like this that make me happy I still rely on my mehanical drives.
I don't think I've worred about them for years now. And they happily keep on chugging without fail.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 24, 2011, 10:58 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The reason you see OCZ having more dead drives than say GSkill...is simple: they sell a crap ton more. Even compared to Intel, OCZ sells an insane amount of drives. ALL drives are massed produced and the law of big numbers cuts both ways. In this case it means more of them die. Does it mean OCZ quality assurance is crap...nope. They just sell more. There is nothing mystical about Intel's latest. Hell its just a Crucial with custom (and slower) firmware....does this mean the Crucial M4 is also magically better than all the rest....nope. Does Intel get first dibs on the highest grade NAND, yes (as they do own a controlling share in it). Does this reduce dead drives for them?... to a certain extent yes. But the controller is the most fragile part in a SSD (WRT short term deaths), not the NAND. The amount of NAND OCZ buys means they too also get first dibs. They are the 800lb gorilla in the SSD world right now. Will this change next gen...who knows, but where they own Indilinx....I doubt it.

Honestly, when picking a SSD DONT look at the label on the outside first. Pick your budget, then your size, then your controller and THEN your brand. If brand A is a couple bucks more than brand b and you like brand A more (maybe they have better CS) then yeah sure go for it (peace of mind IS priceless). BUT dont go "oh that is brand XYZ they are the greatest". Shite can, does and WILL happen. Doesnt matter what brand it is. I have killed so many SSDs its not funny. I have killed so many HDDs that I have not only lost track but dont want to even think about it, but I know that after a couple weeks (and testing) that a SSD that i consider "good" should last longer than if it was a HDD that I considered "good". YMMV :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 24, 2011, 06:18 PM
Allstar
F@H

You guys are scaring me. I'm running an OCZ Vertex 2 right now.
RAM : 4GB DDR2 800MHz (OCZ Platinum)
HDD : Main: 120GB SSD SATA2 (OCZ) Storage: 3TB SATA2 (WD Green) Backup: 500GB External USB (Hitatchi)
GFX : HD4850 (512MB)
PSU : 610W PC Power Silencer
MoBo: Asus P5Q SE
View : Acer H213H 21.5" @ 1920 x 1080

Oshawa Deathmatch Community -- An open group for Durham/Toronto Airsoft, Paintball, and Nerf players. Come join!

I am a Level/Game Designer! http://mikeseguin.webs.com/
Old June 24, 2011, 06:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Not so much as a hiccup so far from my Corsair F60 w/sandforce controller. In fact, I haven't seen much in this thread about Corsair drives.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old June 24, 2011, 07:08 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Over all the SSDs I've had, 2 drives died: an early Gskill, and a Kingston 64Gb. In use as of today: 1 Adata 32gb, 1 Corsair F100, 1 Intel X25-M 1st gen, 1 Kingston 64Gb.
Old June 24, 2011, 07:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have put about roughly 20ish Vertex2 drives into use at work and all have been good so far. Some are only a month or so old and others are as old as the vertex 2's as I got some when they came out.

Actually it might be closer to 30 of them. In addition to that I have a Corsair F60, Kingston 128GB and a V+ 128GB. All of which have had no issues, while I have had 5 seagate hard drives fail over that same time period. So really I don't see the issue people see with SSDs dying. Really I think it is more of a matter that people have spent quite a bit more on them and therefore are more upset when one does fail. As for the OCZs dying more, like AkG said they just sell a ton more than anyone else so of course you will see more people with issues.

Old June 25, 2011, 05:08 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

My second Vertex 1 died, submitted RMA, Canada Post died, I drove to OCZ depot myself, handed in my dead drive, was given the brand new Vertex 2 on the spot, HAPPY!
Old June 26, 2011, 09:45 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I have a Vertex 2 and it is fine, I have just had crazy bad luck with Indilinx barefoot. I still think it is RAID that does them in. Not much you can do with a 30GB drive unless you use RAID and I wanted super fast over tons of room.

So either way the drives are being shelved.