Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 22, 2011, 09:04 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I am really loving the M4 128GB. I have a 256G C300 and can notice it is slightly faster.
Old June 23, 2011, 05:27 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

from what i understand about the 320, it would be a little upgrade from my old agility even if its 25nm, the 510 is still 70$ more.

in the long run would the 510 be worth the extra money over the 320?

My Boinc Stats
Old June 23, 2011, 10:48 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Is this going on your My System specs rig? IF so....maybe. BUT your sata 6gb/s ports are powered by the craptacular Marvell 88SE9120 controller. Oh its not a terrible controller...but it cant pass trim. Running a SSD without trim makes sense is SOME situaitons but I would not recommend it for anyone who wants a plug and play rig (as it takes a lot more TLC). You will NEED to let your system IDLE a lot so that "ITGC" can do its magic. Honestly...i would be tempted to take the hit and run it off the Sata 3gb/s ports as then at least you would get TRIM....but would incur a performance penalty.

Honestly, out of all the sata 3gb/s controllers the 320 is probably the most decent available (ie new) out there. It is good competion compared to the first gen SF's and can give a c300 a run for its moeny is some scenarios. Thats why its one of my main recommendations for older rigs.

Honestly...saying its little better than the original Agility (indilix based SSD) is simply incorrect. Dont look at seq speeds. This is a terrible way to chose a SSD. It was ok back in the HDD days as HDDs which were generally better at seqs were also "better" at small file performance. For SSDs...look at the 4K read / write performance numbers. Your agility is probably in the 10/15 range. The 320 would be in the 20/40 range. Its a much better SSD. Is the 510 70 bucks better on a sata 3gb/s ports....hmm good question. I doubt it. In fact on sata rev2...I dont even know if it would beat the 320 as the performance penalty is VERY steep.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 23, 2011, 03:57 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

alright thanks again, yeah its my main rig, ASUS P7P55D-E Pro with I5 750 @3.8

and yeah i dint really mean little, double the size and a decent speed too. although i did love that old agility drive, make's my current back up raid array i normal used for games fell like a 5400rpm drive lol.

i had forgotten that my sata 6gb/s dint do trim, i was planing on upgrading to a sandy bridge this summer but my pc budget went into fixing this winters damage on the house :(

so i might go with a 320 then as i don't know when ill be able to upgrade the MB/CPU without getting flak (running 3 pc's is already allot according to some in the house hold hehe)

My Boinc Stats